About Introductions and personal stories

Hi Charlotte
I am waiting hopefully to be assessed as a suitable candidate for DBS. Your story has given me hope, as has another member today.

I hope that your problem with saliva is remedied soon. In Liverpool we have a community outreach occupational team who deliver speech therapy and methods to help with drooling and swallowing. Maybe you have the same service where you live so that you can get help. Contact your GP for a referral or get the contact number to self refer.

1 Like

Hi, I think that I initially posted in the incorrect topic , I’m sorry . Anyhow I’m 66 yrs old and female and not quite sure if I have PD or not.
I was diagnosed with MS ( Multiple Sclerosis ) in 1992 by one lesion which showed up on MRI. The rate of progression with that has been thankfully slow although I have not been able to walk a great distance for a few years and for long outings I use a mobility scooter and for shorter distances , a rollator . That is until we went into Lockdown in March 2020 when my walking deteriorated and I found increasing difficulty turning in bed and getting myself out of bed without my husband’s help . Because of difficulty accessing my MS team I finally had an MRI in September 2020 which showed up no abnormal activity relating to MS. Fast forward to this year and I developed Bradykinesia and finally got to see my Neurologist a month ago, who categorically told me what I suspect all along that this is not MS , neither is it idiopathic PD. She put me on a low dose of Madopar for three months and has referred me for a DAT scan.
At the moment I’m feeling confused as to whether you can have both MS and PD or whether I was misdiagnosed in the first place. As well as bradykinesia I’m also getting problems with my speech - my voice has become very weak and sometimes hoarse. My neurologist also noted dystonia in my right foot, and whilst I have no tremor in my arms or hands, fine motor coordination is almost zero when it comes to handwriting and handling small items such as buttons.
My apologies for such a lengthy posting , but many thanks for reading :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like