advice please

My dad is 85 and has parkinson’s and dementia for over 8 years, he has many symptoms and the most recent one he has since coming out of hospital after having covid recently is that he does not some time swallow drinks or eats food, he just holds it in his mouth and it falls out, so it is hard getting him to take the dissolvable parkinson medication, he sleeps a lot as well so finding it hard to get them in to him and the amount each day, I have contacted his Parkinson nurse and asked about patches who has contacted his consultant who does not seem interested in helping and said about side effects. In the past appts with the consultant all he talked about have you a DNR and end of life care plan, I have contacted the charity for advice. You do feel on your own when being a carer for other people. I do not have other family members to help or support. I want to help him get better not let him get worse, as he came out worse from the hospital.

very, very sorry for you and your dad, not sure how much the option discussed in the link below will help him at this point, but they are researching it for PD dementia and it is available now (I personally use it to slow my PD and help avoid dementia).

https://www.centerwatch.com/clinical-trials/listings/168579/parkinsons-disease-dementia-ambroxol-as-treatment-parkinsons/

Welcome to our friendly forum @traceyh! It sounds like your dad has had quite a tough time and it’s a real challenge for you as his carer. I’m pleased to see that @DHP has already answered you and I hope others will add their thoughts soon.

If you feel you need more support, why not call our helpline on 0808 800 0303 and speak to one of our advisers? It’s also important that you take good care of yourself. You’ll find our website a good source of information including this page about being a carer.

Best wishes,
Janice
Forum Moderation Team