Alternative Therapies and Ideas

I've been reading it (well, bits of it) too. It's interesting but raises so many more questions than it answers.

I wasn't able to finish/properly edit my earlier post due to dopamine depletion.  

What really got my hackles up was the title 'Recovery from Parkinson's'.  We don't hold back when disability payments are under threat due to the stance that we can get better from Parkinson's.  This book's title alone doesn't help.

The point about what causes Parkinson's like symptoms (but isn't PD) is well worth exploring if it leads to a 'cure' for even one person.  However, 'Recovery from potentially being misdiagnosed as having Parkinson's and other things that we can cure while we're at it' isn't quite so catchy,  (I'm trying to be more satirical than sarcastic there) (Also trying to use words I don't get to use that often).

The other main issue I had was the reference to 'electrical' not 'chemical', when our 'electrical' like processes are fuelled by the 'chemicals' we have.   I could go on and sticking to the electrical theme, raise the impact of power lines, microwaves, and modern communication technology impact on our brains. You think you're humming a tune, that when you turn on the radio/TV is actually playing is coincidence?  Maybe, or maybe there's a link to dentistry use of materials that conduct next to nerve endings, that part of our brain can now associate with live transmissions.  If that is possible, what next, telepathy, due to mobile phones. 

Have these 'modern' developments led to more people developing Parkinson's or on a more basic level led to more people feeling unwell (and in some cases very sick indeed) thus seeking a symptoms/diagnosis based solution where Parkinson's fits as it generally does make us feel like crap a lot of the time.  I remember my worst health year for general malaise pre PD was having an office desk next door to the building's generator.  I could feel the thrum thrum thrum thrum in my bones, I swear. Maybe that triggered my Parkinson's.... 

A very large hat will provide shelter for many but it doesn't mean it fits.

I guess I'm coming round to the 'electrical' argument, but I'm suspecting external influences rather than internal.  Hang on, that is why I felt so crap and negative next to the generator.  Funny how I'm actually a more positive person overall after I've had Parkinson's for at least 11 years. Carpe diem and carpe noctem (have you seen the time some of my diatribes are posted)

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=carpe+diem

• Kendo, you are on a wrong track regarding the concept of adrenaline and living in a sympathetic mode as well as the electrical energy in the body. You have to read the book I mentioned, to fully understand it and then make up your own mind. 
  • Kate, have you read the book ' Awakenings' by Oliver Sacks? Worth reading!

My worst symptom is tremor, does anyone have any helpful alternative treatments to alleviate it ?

Best wishes to everyone.

I'm still wading through Janice Walton-Hadlock's 400-page PDF (badly written and too long by about 350 pages). I'm pretty sceptical but there's usually a nugget of something useful in these things so I'm persevering (and it gives me something to do on my commute).

The only nugget in this - so far - is that cognitive behaviour therapy is helpful in dealing with anxiety. As I've battled with anxiety for years, and as it's something that makes my PD symptoms worse, I should (and will) seriously look into this.

As for the rest of her theories, I'd love to believe you could cure PD by healing an old foot injury and "surrendering" your safety to a higher being but I just can't. A few anecdotes don't count as evidence, and constantly repeating the same things doesn't make them true! Unless she reveals something amazing in the last chapter, I'm still sceptical.

Have not read the book so probably not really supposed to respond, but definitely do not register with the personality traits, though you don't always see yourself as others do. Except for the quiet, I don't cope with shoutyh stern people well, I think because when I started school decades ago I coloured the top of my mountain red (I,be always loved volcanoes) and got shouted at by teacher because mountains app should have snow on top which is white. 

I have friends who really feel CBT changed their lives around. When my symptoms started getting bad and I started getting complaints and warnings at work I was put forward for CBT by one of the GPS. At the assessment by the therapist she said unsuitable candidate. I was then seen by psychiatrist who said no this is neurological. That gave me confidence to say no to all who have since tried to put everything down to anxiety.

There are many alternative therapies that help you feel in control and give you a boost. They may not solve the underlying problem but they help you cope much better if you have found the one that works for you. 

Tabbycat

husband was offered CBT and some things helped but mostly it was not for him, so the trainer/teacher got in a huff and told him there is nothing else and he will be discharged from the mental health dept! Got letter saying he has been discharged and got to Samaritans if you need help!

Great, eh?

But we have now tried mindfulness after a book with meditation CD from a professor at Oxford and my husband said this has helped him greatly. So we will keep on meditating.

Wow, that wasn't helpful!

Glad he found another route. Mindfulness is also on my list of things to investigate.