Apomorphine

hello cassie,hope you are ok

im just curious about apomorphine,my last neuro offerered it me and i declined,i since have a new neuroligist appointment and im hoping he doesnt say the same and offers me something else,apart from the things that bother you,is it worth it for better quality of life?can you still do hard labour work,ie building work ,gardening,cleaning? i would be grateful if you get back to me,thanks

1 Like

My husband has been up and down the doses of Apomorhine over the last 9 months  and is now at 2.5 mgs which seems more stable for him but the side effects from this agonist have been fairly awful ...sleepiness and a lot more cognitive impairment and confusion He was on Stalevo as well but has now gone back to Simenet plus which just seems easier to take . His neurologist just keeps saying that after 8 years of Parkinsons Apomorhine is the best option ! Next step for us is a trip to America I think ! 

I started APO Morphine injections a month ago and it seemed promising. Nausea occurs and this happens if I exceed 2mg per injection. You ask if the off periods come on more rapidly and more violently. My answer is yes and quite markedly so. I try to limit myself to three injections a day but find that after the third injection I feel the need for another to regain my on status. If I choose not to exceed the three jabs per day regime then I feel very off and as if I am having drug withdrawal symptoms. It takes 15 minutes for an injection to kick in and this is a great relief especially as my Sinemet plus are slow to come in and often do not seem effective. I have eaten Sinemet Plus for the last seven years and now the PD has progressed to the stage where tablets alone do not work with any consistency. An injection gives me at least an hour of relief and sometimes several hours. If I stop the APO then I feel withdrawal pangs which last for a full twenty four hours. The main benefit of APO is that it gives me time off from severe shaking episodes and this is the reason I continue with it. The downsides are the violent and rapid off and the nausea. I will persevere and hope to adjust to the side effects.