Are you a carer or newly diagnosed with Parkinson's?

We’re still urgently looking for volunteers that can travel to Bristol to take part in a group exercise. This activity is a part of our online review project and will help us identify how we organise information on our website in the future.

The exercise will take place in Bristol on Tuesday 8 November from 11am to 12.30pm.

We’ll reimburse any reasonable expenses.

If you or your family member are recently diagnosed (6 months or less) and live in the area, please contact Alana Mew at [email protected] or 020 7963 9328

Find out more about the online review project here: http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/pdsforum/posts.aspx?forum=about-the-forum&topic=update-online-communities-project

Good Morning

I have Parkinson's. I was diagnosed with Pk in 1992, but my first symptom occurred in the early 1960's.

Today, nobody would know I have Parkinson's. Why? I am not 100% sure about this, but, as a layman, I think it has to do with my medication, my exercise regimen, my positive attitude and my stress management.

My medication was a monotherapy of Eldepryl, which is an MAO-b inhibitor. I took this medication for ten years, and do not take it any longer.

My exercise consists of: Fast aerobic walking - eight kilometres (five miles) three times a week. Gym classes (stretching, coordination exercises, loosening-up and muscle toning exercises) twice a week. I also do Brain exercises every day (Su Doku Puzzles, and writing on my computer). I don't exerciae when I am not well. When that has happened, I start my walking at four kilometres a session and build up to eight kilometres by adding one every second week.

I get rid of any activity, which causes me to be negatively stressed, and avoid people, who cause me to be nehgatively stressed. I have had to rid myself, in the past, with anything, which caused me negative stress, including my job, my companies and some of my outside activities.

I have learned to paint and to write, since I was diagnosed.

I have taught myself to concentrate on all movements, which have caused me problems in the past, such as walking, writing an bringing food and liquids to my mouth. These movements have always been controlled in the past by my subconscious brain. Now, I have to use my 'conscious' mind. I no longer shuffle, I write in block letters and I seldom spill my food or knock objects over on the table.

However, my autonomic nervous system problems never leave me. Insomnia, constipation, chest infections, word accessing, memory, depression and mood swings, still need my constant attention.

I have written a book about my experiences, initially titled, 'There is LIFE After Parkinsons Disease'. That was changed, in the second edition to, 'There is LIFE After Being Diagnosed With Parkinson's Disease, because the fitst edition title could have lead people to think that I no longer have Pd. The third edition of the book is titled, 'Reverse Parkinson's Disease', which is more appropriate for what I am trying to achieve. I have never advertised the book, anywhere, nor do I go around trying to sell it. All the books I have sold, or given away, were by word-of-mouth contact.

I do beieve that I have successfully reversed most of my movement symptoms and I have the autonomic symptoms under control.

If I can dio this, then others should be able to follow. I am 77 years old, and cannot live for ever. I need to spread this message to as many people as possible.
Thank you for sharing Ampfield. Interesting news as I am gently increasing positive aspects in physical exercises battle on. Every snippit helps :grin:

Admin. Is there a way to be automatically notified that a post thread I have contributed to has been updated or replied to? Most forums I use have a notification box to tick to receive, and I feel sure that encouraging discussion is paramount. It maybe useful to see contributions from Neurologists and other experts as well.

Kind regards

Andy