Balance issues

Thanks Maria.  I might speak to my doctor about just having pneumonia jab. Sounds like a good idea.

Hi, Libby and Maria,

I do get a flu shot every year, have never had a reaction worse than a sore lump.  Because of PD and also my tendency to get pneumonia easily, I also get a pneumonia injection yearly.  One of my PD doctors told me that it would be wise and that many doctors do the same. 

Thanks for asking about my cruise, Libby.  It was wonderful except for the two days I was down with the gastroenteritis virus that was sweeping across France at the time and got about 85% of the passengers on the riverboat!  Our flu shots didn't save us, although we may have had lighter cases than others.  I know my sister, who never gets a flu jab, was ill twice as long as I was.

I'm currently planning more travel.  Having had PD 17 years, I keep expecting it to advance and reach a point at which travel could be difficult or at which I simply don't want to travel any more.  So this year and next I'm scheduling as many trips as I can.  In September I'm going to eastern Canada to provinces I have not seen; in December I'm visiting Walt Disney World in Florida.

Best regards,

J

We too are planning more travel, J. Can't recommend it enough for as long as you are able to do so.That has been out mantra for many years.

OH has had P for  over 16 years and we holiday as often as we can. It's usually a cruise from Southampton, time differences are just an hour each day so they don't play havoc with medication which is every 2 and a half hours. There are some great deals out there when you consider all that is included; it often works out less expensive than a UK holiday on B&B or half board when you take into account that all meals are provided and entertainment.

We don't fly any more so that is why we enjoy cruising.

Hi J of Grey Cottage and benji

Sounds like cruises are the way to go.  We have been looking at options. See my doctor tomorrow and will discuss flu jab and pneumonia shot.  I thought that pneumonia one lasted 5 years J.  Have been doing pretty solid work at gym and find I am pretty zapped at end of day. Hope it is doing me some good!

Sorry to hear you got that nasty bug on your cruise.

Libby

Thanks, Libby --

The pneumonia shot is usually only given every five years, but many doctors and others who are exposed to it more often get yearly injections.  Viral pneumonia is the worst; once you have a virus, it runs its course.  Even though antibiotics are often prescribed for further protection, they don't kill the virus.  One case I had took me six weeks to shake off!  That was pre-PD, too.

benji, I understand your not flying any more.  It's much more work than it used to be.  That's a major reason why I'm doing my European travel now.  It won't be long before I decide that it's not worth the effort, with TSA hassles and the constant threat of jet lag.  In 2015 my first trip will include a week in Oxfordshire, touring various public and private gardens in the spring.

Best wishes to all,

J

Hi,

I used to fly a lot for work but now you have to shoot me into a plane. The hassle these days you get a the airport. last time i flew they wanted me to disconnect my insulin pump...no way and never did either. Luckily i carry an official card with my consultants signature on it.

But we do go away to the countryside here, as i live in ireland there is still much to explore and i love it.

Disconnect an insulin pump?  Now I've heard everything!  They'll be snatching walkers away from the elderly next.  And all this is making us feel so confident that terrorism will be prevented, isn't it?

Oh, well, if I want to travel, I guess I'll keep removing my shoes and starting up my laptop when told to.

It takes some effort these days before you can actually lay back and put the feet up and enjoy the scenery. I can still remember the sixties when you could still leave your door open....good ol' days..lol

your not that old ! wink

make that 54 years....lol

You look 24 in that photo!  At 68, when I sign "lol," it stands for "little old lady"!

J

i believe its called 'laugh out loud'. I wish i felt like 24..;) i just eat and live healthy and watched the weight so it paid off. I am shorter as i used to be 1.82 m but now i am 1.79 m

that could be the Guinness!

guiness...ugggh

Maria & Gus,

Americans tend to dislike Guinness, comparing it to motor oil or other unpleasant things.  (Though why would anyone know how motor oil tastes?)  So when I was in the UK once and had the chance to taste the awful stuff, I did.  And I loved it!  It's American beers and ales that I avoid.       J

its suppose to be healthy for you but ill pass my favorite remains a good ol cuppa tea..

Enquire about Conductive Education in your area, and if it is available near to where you live GO FOR IT, you wont regret it.

Maria- are you still in Dublin?