Brain surgery

Hi eck,

some thing like 2 years a go one of the ladies who contributed to this forum was about to have dbs and said she would keep us informed.
As far as I can recall the op was fine. A few days later however, she had a stroke which put her in intensive care for quite a long time.
I think it was about 8 or 9 months before she went home on a permanent basis. At that time she still wasn't as well as she was before she had the op.
It may well be a different story now.
It does need a lot of thinking about before resorting to dbs.
It would be helpful to find out what the success rate is, you can then make an informed decision.
My Parkinson's nurse did broach the subject with me a while back. She did say they ae getting very good at doing the op now.

It is a case of "You pays your money and you takes your choice."
At the moment I am taking the advice of my consultant. And that is "Keep your self busy".
Whether or not this works I don't know. All I can say is that I was diagnosed as having Parkinson's in 2002. Life is not great but I manage okay for most of the day. I must admit if I have a day of just sitting around I experience a lot more shaking than if I am doing some thing physical. Not really hard work but something like a bit of decorating. Or some times I will help a neighbour with small jobs.
It keeps me going.
the best stats i could find are:
intracranial bleed (10% of procedures)
•symptomatic intracranial bleed (2%)
•seizures (3%)
•headache (25%)
•infection (6%)
Device-related complications:

•lead replacements (9%)
•lead repositionings (8%)
•extension wire replacements (6%)
•implantable pulse generator replacements (17%), approximately half of which were due to malfunction
The risk of death is less than 1%.

An experienced team seemingly do quite a bit better than an inexperienced.
Avoid diathermy treatment afterwards!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
MP3 est un acronyme pour "Moving Picture Experts Group Layer-3 Audio"
I have no idea what you are both talking about.
Kvell, you have cheered me up no end.

Tumsh, I didn't read your post as it contains %ages.

As you can see I didn't read or contribute to these topics before.

To those of us who have gone through DBS or are just about to, its time to reach for your mp3 player "mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...."
Update

I've spent a month a home, switched off, for 4 weeks to let everything heal and reduce my meds, and let the 'impact effect' settle down. The impact effect is where the cells are stimulated just by virtue of being prodded during surgery. This wore off while I was in hospital, but can last a few weeks.

Then I spent another week in hospital getting switched on at a low setting to allow me to reduce meds , the stimulation was upped steadily/meds reduced over the following 4 days, while I wass monitored for side effects and minor tweaks to stimulation/drugs to compensate.

I'm home now to let things settle, then it will be clinic appointments to make adjustments as and when. Its now a case of 2 steps forward and 1 back as I look for the optimum settings between my meds/drugs/parky's. But I know if its a net of 1 step a month, come the end of the year I'll be 12 steps ahead of where I was when I started.

I was very impatient and watched the "Trevor" video on this site, and I know he wastn't jumping over the fence till four months after surgery, but the post surgery video only lasts 3 minutes. I was frightened I'd disapoint everyone that I didnt leap out the car and start running around the garden windmilling my guitar singing I'm Free (The Who). I wanted the controller and wanted it ramped up to Spinal Tap 11.

It has been an emotional roller coaster. I cant believe a month ago I had brain surgery and now feel so good. I need to thank everyone on this forum for the well wishes and thoughts/prayers. I really had to lean on them hard. So thanks.

I'd like to apologise and thank Turnip, I had intimated that his stats were unwanted in my previous post. What he posted was accurate and it wasnt anything your PD Nurse, Neuroconsultant or Neurosurgeon wont mention. These stats are important in making an informed decision about going ahead with this treatment. The thanks is for calming me down, my impatience was getting me down more than I knew.
Sorry, it doesn't cure idiocy. It should read "... the optimum settings between my meds/stimulation/parky's."
Yesterday I was asked what I wanted for dinner. I replied "Totties and Mash" instead of "Bangers and mash". Fortunately Mrs Eck well versed in my little oritary faux pas and made me fish and chips. Delicious.
Hi Mommah
I had DBS in April of this year at Oxford by Prof Aziz and his team if there is anything you would like to know about my experience just ask
well wheels move slowly! At long last I am off to Brum to see Dr Pall re DBS at the end of the month & will see what he has to say. It seems that you go in on a Mon, surgery Tues & hopefully home Thurs. They do all the op under GA at Brum so thats OK & I am not concerned with the op having done many surgicals (dental) wielding the scalpel myself in my career. My main concern is the following 6 weeks or so. Some have described it as hell, others have no probs. Can a few of you out there let us have the benefit of your experiences. How long did it take before you could say it was all worth it? Any Brummies out there? In some fascinating way I am quite looking forward to it.Email me if you want. I am interested to have your observations. Wish me luck & I'll let you all know my progress. Cheers Christopher
Well saw Dr Pall, a very nice man, & discussed everything generally, risks, how it was done, my attitude etc etc. I saw him privately & should warn you it cost £250 so check out your insurance. My next appt (nhs) is at the QE Brum Mar./Apr time so I have time to mull it over & experiment with a few other drugs, but he feels that I am an ideal candidate so watch this space. Merry Xmas everyone.
good luck