Buying a new bed

Hi. I am about to replace a 15yr old worn out bed and need to think about the future with PD worsening. I find it difficult to maintain a comfortable position and moving about the bed is really hard. Does anyone have experience of so called 'memory foam' mattress and/or electrically adjustable beds?

I will also be interested in any replies to this post .

hi ya welcome to the forum,im ali ive been dx for 11 years and im 42 years old.i used to have a divan bed with a memory foam mattress on it,the mattress was fine,at first,but eventually i was kinda moldin to it to much for me,i could not get up,roll body would not move to how i needed to,i guess this is wot the mattress is ment to do hold ur body,but when u got pd,i found no good for me.so i bought a electric bed with a mattress like they have in hospital,i then put on a fine cotton sheet ,thin,and it much easier to move,my legs throb at nite and i hang erm out the sides and need to put them on cold things,which the sheet it self helped that once feet out of duvet.i no this mite sound wired ,but im tryin to explain how i have to deal with things,we are all different.havin the remote control to raise legs and back in to different postions is the best thing i ever did for my body,it helps legs and back the hole lot.i then have a monkey pole to pull up on and then slide to the rite to put feet to the floor.raising the bed up and down also comes in handy ,when the carers make the bed,change the sheets they can raise it to there level so no bending for them.electric bed was the one for me,i will never change back:smile:

i intend to change our mattress for a latex one - very solid and takes a bit of getting used to, but i think you need a resistant surface to push against when turning over. we used to have one and it is also good for your back. Also a higher frame is easier to get in and out off.

Hi pilgrim,

the electric bed as alji describes is a must as the disease progresses and invaluable to carer's. I don't know about the sheets that fit the beds you may buy but we found Ikea single sheets are larger than any others and are much easier to put on,saves all that struggle. Do get in the OT's if you need any other gadgets there are a lot available.
best wishes
vivian
ps a tip on getting medication stains off carpets or other fabric we always use triple A neat with a cloth the only stains I couldn't get off was the wet room floor so if any of you are thinking of having this do choose a dark colour for the floor.
We also had all our walls around the house emulsioned as you can then just paint over the marks.

Thank you Viv ial that has been a big help . healreadyhas a bed grabrail.Do you mean you have a rope ladder (thingy ) .. If so does it slip of the bed is it easy to keep to hand ready for when you need it . I think if we do get a rise and recline bed (PROFILEbed? )I think is the one that you can higher and lower .We will get 2 singles maybe rather than a double or kinsize . Where ablouts do you live you mention a cleaner that I have never heared of .

Hi Pilgrim,

I am so happy we bought an adjustable electric bed years ago because now I could not do without it for my husband: in the morning I adjust it to a sitting position for him to have his mouth cleaned, have his coffee and his Sinemet, then I wait for a minimum of 30 mins before the medication takes effect and he can then rise from the bed and go to the sitting room. Without this bed, he would not be able to walk safely, not even with a frame.

Natasha

Hi Jonnie,

Thanks for getting back, the triple AAA is a carpet cleaner you can get from most stores/supermarkets and it is brilliant at getting those stains off from med spill or dribbles, especially madopar dispersal or the apo pumps we used it neat on a clothe. Glad to see some people using the bed well as when I was involved with the local branch a lot of older ladies found it very difficult in getting their husbands to the bathroom in the morning to wash, I always say if you have someone to get you a cupper and a biscuit take it in bed and wait until it works it is so much easier. If you live alone a good tip is to have a spare bottle of water by your bed and/or chair with a tablet in a safe container and a biscuit so that if you fall asleep and when you wake up you can't move very well it is all at hand, it will take the stress out of it.Riser chairs are great but my friend has trouble getting out of that as he hasn't the strength in his arms, I suggested having a walker near but he couldn't even manage that so he worked out that if he turned his hands around the other way to what you would normally do he can manage.
If you buy silk sheets which makes getting into bed easy be careful as a few people have gone straight out the other side!fun eh. As regards other equipment there are lots of different things that the OT can get even mats that buzz when someone gets out of bed, it goes off to let the spouse/carer know what's what'.
If any of you needs things like bed mats I used the children's one as they tuck under the bed easier, I found Huggies Dry nites best.Also if and when you really have a problem lifting the social services will put in a over head hoist, they are very good and its only a few screw holes in the ceiling and once they are taken it leaves no mess or big holes.
If people have difficulty getting in and out of cars and haven't got a seat that turns a plastic bag on the seat is a great help, anyway I hope there are some useful tips for you there if you don't know them already.
PS if you are deaf have a word with that organisation as I had a buzzer for thing like the door bell and phone and another ring for my husband when he wanted me.
best wishes
vivian

I have been thinking of buying a new bed as the one I have is too low and find I am having to more or less lever myself up into a standing position.
I don't really see a need for one of those adjustable electric jobs, since I like to be up and about as soon as I wake up (usually about 6 o'clock) and very rarely have breakfast in bed.
I have tried memory foam mattresses and don't like them. I find it a struggle to turn over. Better, I find, with a nice firm orthopaedic mattress which doesn't sag. Since we spend nearly a third of our lives sleeping, choosing the right bed or mattress is important.

Hi we have just bought a new bed. After looking at every type of mattress for sale opted for a fairly firm sprung one with a memory foam top (this is all in one not a topper). I love my new mattress the only problem is i keep sleeping in!!

Big C

Thank you everyone for all the tips/advice . / Have you got single beds or double .
The reason I have suggested we will be be better off with a rise and recline bed is because my husband cannot get in or out of bed on his own . Or Kingsize bed is too high for him , he isnt a tall man . He throws himself as far as he can onto the be . (which isnt very far unfortunaltely ) and then I have to lift his legs onto the bed and the he has to shuffle himself further into the bed . Usually ending flat on his . He then Has breathing problems .
Needs to use toilet at least 3 times during the night . so that means my assistance once again in and out of bed .

Once he finally wakes which means I need to be awake as well because he cannot rise himself off his pillows .

I thought it mght be best to get an automatic bed which will lift his upper body and so make it easiet to get himself up . If usine a profile bed you have choice of rising the bed to help the person who needs to see to any other needs .
WHe already uses a riser chair , which takes some of the strain off me . I believe you can get a frame which you can use to walk and get out of a chair with ..

Thanks to everyone for sharing their 'bed tales' on the Forum. We have decided to buy an adjustable bed with memory foam mattress and when it arrives I will test it thoroughly (!!) and post a review in due course. Sweet dreams we hope !!

Has anyone used a sleeping bag on a permanent basis ?

I usually kick off quilts, blankets etc., and end up frozen.
My bed has two rails to stop me falling out so if I can keep warm for longer, then I'm winnning !

Cheers,

Rhino.

Hi everyone,
the subjects of beds! The reason I suggested an adjustable bed is that as pd progresses most people will find it really useful and it is much easier for both pwd and carers whether that be spouses or paid carers.Also if you have problems with breathing or say flu it is so much easier to use.
Some people have got two beds pushed together then you don't disturb each other and many people with pd find they can't sleep so use the laptop while the other person enjoys blissful sleep. Of course if needed you can get a waterproof cover just for the one bed then as well .We tried all sorts of things but eventually had to sleep in rooms and had a bleeper, some people use the baby listner machines.
Regards getting cold with quilts falling off we used a light weight quilt but a double not a single which is better if you can manages it.
We also have a riser chair and that was very useful especially when my husband had reflexology, he was asleep in no time. You can get many different aids as I am sure some of you are aware, the tri fold walker is quite good to have by the chair if you can get it okay but maybe it would be best for you to discuss the problems with an OT as they may be able to get you a grab rail or something else to help in this situation. Just in case some of you didn't see my other note about hospital and riser beds we founf IKEA single sheets are bigger than normal ones and much easier to put on. If you have problems getting to the bathroom you can get commodes on wheels and shower chairs on wheel which was very handy for us getting my husband into the bathroom.
Hope that helps
best wishes
vivian

I use a latex mattress and it is fine. Do not think too much about later...:grin:

i heard that if you go thru yor doctor/ gp you can get a orthopedic mattress free from the government grants agency...anyone else heard this ?? im looking into this because ive had PD now for 18 years and as my illness progreses im needing a new matress again , think were on our third now, im sure u all know its an expensive hobby mattresses with no wage coming into the house.......please post if you have any info on this, as i shall if i find out , thanks
Hugh aka welshbearuk

Big C please let us know how you are doing with yor new matress as we are due for another, we are at a cross roads to which to get, the one we have now is only 8 months old and has the sprung wiring making dents and gouges into the moulding, not sure if the mattress company will exchange it under guarantee when i tell them ive got PD maybe we shudnt tell them lol
HuGH aka welshbearuk

we have just purchased a stairift . Have been planning to buy an adjustable bed and get possibly 2 . Not sure if it would be low enough for my husband to get into .

Have you tried going through your GP /district nurse . They have been very helpful to us . arranged a wheelchair /nightingale nurse for advice / they have now ordered a profile bed on long term loan .

Not sure how long we will have to wait and am still considering buying one myself .

Any advice about what makes please

Unfortunately, A memory foam mattress makes turning in bed very difficult. It is also difficult to get out of, as pushing down with ones hands hands has no effect. Originally, we bought the memory foam for my bad back but we have swopped it for a good quality pocket sprung. Surprise,surprise,not only is it better for John but my back is a lot better.May be a coincidence but.....
Take no notice of the 50% off offers that some of the big chains offer.If you want to know why and cannot guess e mail me.