Change DVLA process

There are two issues here that should be treated the same irrespective of having Parkinsons. 1. Being aware of your limitations due the gradual wearing off of the drugs until your next dose. This is not really any different to everyone taking a regular eye test to ensurs day and night driving is safe. Plus not driving when tired or even late for something. The bottom line is that everyone needs to self assess their fitness to drive before they start the engine. 2. Assessments just because of Parkinsons are no more valid than assessments for everyone after a period since your driving test. If anything our accute awareness that we have to time our journeys to match how we feel is something every driver should consider. Differences in opinion over our skill at driving will require assessing. It jusf needs to allow flexibility over the timing of the assessment.

Hi !

Sound thinking  Kendo.   I would also note that as medication gradually wears off, deteriorating balance and walking gate do not necessarily mean loss of driving ability.  I find that I can still walk up and down stairs quite easily even when the medication has worn off and find driving not a concern.   I do however get tired more easily and take more breaks and less "drive it in one" mentality.

My GP considers my reaction time is slower with PD but personally I have not noticed any deterioration although I tend to leave 3 or 4 seconds stoppng time rather that the advertised 2 seconds.  This is more a precaution to avoid accidents.  As I feel with PD,just like drink driving,  you are guilty even when you did notca use the accident.

Take Care !

westby

It's roughly six weeks since my neuro posted the completed forms back to DVLA and about 8 months since I last drove.

Everything takes so long!   About 3 weeks ago, I received a letter from them asking me if I would be prepared to have a provisional licence issued valid for 1 hour to enable me to take an on-road test/assessment with one of their appointed instructors.  I replied by post next day to say that I would (of course) and, after not hearing anything since, phoned on Friday (28th) to be told that another letter was on it's way with all the instructions I need to book the test.

The length of time this whole episode has taken is just ridiculous - 8 months trying to run a building company without leaving the house when I KNOW I am capable of driving!!  There is no email address to contact them - it is all so archaic!  

Rant over!

Regards to all,

Gary

1 Like

Gary,

best of luck when you eventually take the test again !   I have found since getting my licence back I am constantly seeing poor / dangerous driving from my dear fellow drivers on the road.  And these the the ones without PD.    OK I may not be the world's best driver but 45 years without a hint of a  point on my licence and currently diving 15,000 miles a year,  I don't think I am that bad.  (15,000 equivalent miles taking into account the DVLA.)

It is appalling that the DVLA can get away with such a tardy system for us,  given that driving is one of the few tasks I can still do well (along with walking up and down steps).  My sister turned 70 recently and her new licence arrived a week after she sent off for it.   And she does not go on motorways / major A roads, restricting  herself to driving locally.

Anyway now the general election is coming I am sure the political parties will resolve the DVLA problem for us instead of throwing sound bites to each other

Take  Care

westby

Break out the Champagne I,ve got my licence back after 9 months. Just a warning to anybody renewing their licence, please be careful how you fill in the form, particularly the question regarding freezing. I feel it would be helpful if Parkinson UK could get involved on our behalf to possibly get the DVL,A to amend their form !!!

turning to something else,I like most of us have great trouble walking when the drugs wear off, one evening struggling to walk I happened to kick a ball, left by the dog,and continued to do my impression of Beckham down the hall, I found I could get about whilst dribbling the ball whereas without it I was finding walking almost impossible. Try it and let me know if it works for you 

regards

Alan (eat your heart out Beckham)  

Hi Alan,

Yes, I found a similar method - I used to kick an old plastic camera case around when  I was "off" - but i found that I had to weight it to coincide with my next step, i.e. light, deft touches (a la Messi)!

Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't - plus I had to remember where I'd last kicked it the night before and to take it with me when I knew I was going to need it!

Fortunately, I have recently had DBS, so am hoping I won't need this method to get going again for e few years!

Regards

Gary

Hi All.

Try googling  "Parkinsons sufferer rides a bike" and a lot of interesting videos feature proficient  cycling by PWP's whose walking is really bad. The same applies to running.    There are quite a few You tube videos of PWP's  playing footy with their children but I could not track them down.  PD  can be a curious disease.  There's a book out by a lady who goes by the name Nancyclist on US forums who has been at the forefront of cycling as an aid in PD.  Its called "if I can climb Kiimanjaro, why can't I clean my teeth?"

Hi Alan,

Thanks very much for this, we're meeting with the DVLA at the end of the month to talk about how we can work together to make sure people with Parkinson's are well supported through the process.

Regarding your point around amending the form, you've mentioned in previous posts in the thread that the 'freezing' question is a particular issue. Westby made the point that if a consultant ticks the question around freezing, this will automatically cause a person to lose their licence and should be re-worded to focus more on slow-down. Is that your view too? If you have further thoughts, it'd be really helpful if you could email me so I can raise them with the DVLA.

I don't know that they'll amend the form, but I'm certainly happy to raise the issue for you if you think there are things that need addressing.

Phil

I find it's the slow and small movements I have trouble with when Off. This is a typical PD symptom that affects the smoothness of movement as well as speed. When I'm Off I can run provided my balance hasn't been affected yet. I also find holding my wife's hand limits my movement as I trying to match initiating big steps with the limitation of matching the speed of your partner. Difficult to get across to your partner sometimes. Back to driving. I have a simple test to check if my slow movement is back On before getting in the car. This is to check how well I can undo and do up the top two buttons on my shirt. This simple movement is a great indicator of how well I will be able to steer smoothly and use the various switches and buttons in a timely and accurate manner. I'll end by repeating the point about assessments being flexible in timing on the day so we can be assessed while in the On state as that's when we'll be timing our driving activities to be completed.

HI !  

Any feedback to DVLA is good news,  it is a shock to find yourself driving one day and having your licence revoked when  you get home and open the post.

My thoughts are that if the general driver can decide  by HIM / HERSELF  if they are / or soon will be to tired / drunk / not in a fit state / physically incapable of driving why this does not apply to PD

PD working differently in our motor functions such that when our movement deteriorates some of us can still run, climb stairs, driver a car  etc

westby

1 Like

Hi shefinn,

Have just received my second 3 year licence this came much quicker than the first due to i think to they didn't require me to have a medical,In the letter which came with it was the following statement "Your driving licence is only valid for 3 years three months before the expiry of your driving licence we will send you the forms to reapply for your driving licence", which they did this time so they should get in touch with you before your licence runs out..

Hi  Silver spoon

Just wondering how long your licence renewal took. I sent my paperwork back in April received a letter from DVLA 2nd May stating they were waiting for report from my Consultant. I know he sent it in as I've checked with DVLA. Licence now expired but I am still driving due to provision for this in the Road Traffic Act, however would feel more comfortable if I had a licence. 

Hi silver spoon, thanks for that info. So hopefully they should contact me in September because my licence expires in December.So glad you had yours renewed for the second time I hope I have the same luck!

Good luck with yours Bethankit, it's a bit long winded isn't it?

Sheffy

Hi

I sent my PK1 form off on 23 March, had a response dated 1st April saying they would be contacting my consultant which would take about 6 weeks. I eventually got reply dated 18 June, giving me a 3 year licence and asking me to send them my present licence for updating. I did that the same day, sent both plastic and paper ones as they hadn't said which, am still waiting for them to come back. Have kept photocopies of all paperwork & licences in case everything gets lost in system!!

S

Good idea Supa, hope you get your licence back soon, but don't hold your breath!

Regards.......Sheffy

Hi Bethankit my licence renewal took about 5 weeks which was a lot quicker than the previous one which was my first with parkinson's and i had to have a medical done at my GP's also my consultant must have been quick replying to the DVLA this time.The DVLA have always kept me updated on the progress of there enquiries so i can't fault them. 

Hi Silver spoon

Thanks for your response, I have been in touch with DVLA, my application is at the next stage and the really helpful lady advised me that Iif I have not heard within 6 weeks to get back in touch. 

My first application after diagnosis was completed in 14 weeks , so with any luck should hear soon. I suppose I can always check the DVLA view your licence page. 

Meantime I will just keep my fingers crossed that it gets renewed. I will keep you posted. 

I received a letter from DVLA dated 4th August, no licence I now need a Medical. This was done 11th August, hope I get a licence  renewal. 

Medical was straight forward and lasted about 30 minutes. 

Hi Bethankit

We will all be rooting for you. I will have to go through the same thing in the next few weeks, my three year allowance on my licence ends this December!

Best wishes........ Sheffy x

I have recently received my application form from the DVLA to renew my driving licence:

My condition; I have off periods, difficulty in walking etc, however, they have never affected my ability to drive safely. In the same way that some  pwp can ride a bike yet cant walk.

I noticed the changes in the form since I last applied

ie questions about my condition of a general nature such as do i experience freezing or do i need help with my personal care. Questions that would appear more relevant on a PIP / DLA form.

However, this is a form to assess my  driving ability not my mobility and care requirements and that is how I have answered these questions.

I put a NO for all of them because I dont need help with my personal care whilst driving, however, I do need help to get to the loo at night but I dont need to drive to get there.

I dont know if the DVLA send these forms to the DWP for comparison to DLA / PIP forms, but without doubt they are designed to strike fear into PWP by clouding the issues.

DLA / PIP forms are for the assessment of the care we need and our mobility.

DVLA forms are to assess our ability to drive.

Dont forget our medical people are also expected to approve our licence based on what little they see of us.

The whole system is a farce

Of course if you don't feel safe driving you should declare it. Speak to the DVLA for further advice.

Take regular breaks on journeys, stop and have a nap etc

If you don't feel well enough to drive don't but that goes for anyone not just pwp.

Happy motoring!

L