Change DVLA process

Looks like it sea angler, because I can't see any other reason why they should ask these questions seems odd otherwise. 

Sheffy

The forms have changed then .i applied a year ago and those questions weren't there . In Leicestershire  support group heard that 3 people newly diagnosed had been refused licence in previous week . The person I was speaking to had no idea why he had been refused .....newly diagnosed on no meds . Fully mobile . Very worrying . 

That does'nt sound good to me I live in Leicestershire! Filled my forms in now and sent them off so going to keep my fingers crossed and everything else for that matter!

Thankyou for that info Kitten3

Sheffy

What any responsible DVLA official should be seeking is detail on how our individual PD symptoms would impact on our abilities to control a car at all times when we're driving, NOT every hour of the day.  I keep coming back to the fact that No-one is capable of driving every hour of the day responsibly as we all need sleep.

The burden for PIP is for the related tasks we can't do to make up the majority of the average day.  Provided your meds or self control allow you to be certain you can control a car at all times when you're actually driving it only really matters whether your abilities are affected suddenly without warning.  Sudden freezing or falling asleep have to honestly reported.  It could be a matter of life or death.

The questions about daily living activities are pertinent as if you are unable to operate household equipment at all times, what hope do you have controlling a fast moving lump of metal.  Our mobility in daily life also affects the motability aspect of PIP.

I've always stated that for a reasonable period 1.5 to 3 hours most days, I can time my meds to be at the ON phase for when I need to drive.  As soon as I notice the gradual wearing OFF. I stop, rest and take the next dose, waiting for it to work before proceeding or hand the keys to my able co-pilot who has been resting.

The scenario of being eligible to claim PIP and still having periods when you know you're able to drive is what you need to get across. There does appear to be a shift in general data gathering commonality across many of the multitude of forms facing us. Is it not fair for everyone that they would seek to be able to check the consistency of our representations. Whether this is currently done is almost irrelevant. Nirvana could be one form for all, with some sections being N/A for either our current symptoms or the item being applied for.

Everyone deep down knows when they're not fit to drive, be it due to PD symptoms or general fatigue, pains and blocked sinus, disruptive passengers or just needing the toilet etc..

My sentiments exactly Kendo, I don't always drive, my husband does most of it. Not that i'm incapable of driving but the fact that  it seems to be the automatic thing to do is let him drive as he has mostly done so all our lives. Especially ,long journeys, I'm not that good on finding my way, always have been,  yet hubby just follows his nose and hey presto we're there! As you say you know yourself how you feel and know when to drive and when not to. But these questions are set on a basic YES or NO answer basis, they aught to add SOMETIMES as an alternative.

P.S. I'll drive if I know where i'm going and know the way! (I know what you're thinking, WOMEN drivers!) LOL

Sheffy

hypothetical..

Q: can you transfer an amount of hot liquid food from a saucepan repeatedly to a colander in a safe competent manner?.

A: No

Q: Can you operate gears,pedals and steering column repeatedly in a safe competent manner?.

A: Yes.

One has nothing too do with the other when the Subject isn't related. Plain english is best without hidden agenda's Are you competent too drive is all that is needed, Verification & Sense  is all that is Required.

Hi sea angler, as I pointed out also one subject is not related to the other in any way, so what is the actual reasoning for asking the questions in the first place, unless they are fishing for something, wonder if you might put your finger on it being as your a keen angler!

Hubby has just got his back after we filled the forms in May. Very pleased  to see that after two 1yr licences he has now been given a 3yr one.  We had to keep ringing the nuerologist up as he was slow in sending the form back but after the 4th time he managed to get them done :)