Choking

I had a very scary experience last night. You dog woke me up in the middle of the night and I was choking and phlegm, coughing, gaging. I thought I was drowning.

Hi @Shandy1234,

It sounds like you had a really tough night - I’m really sorry to hear this.

Has this been happening frequently? If so, perhaps you should contact your GP and speak to them about this so that they can review your medication. You can also call our helpline service on 0808 800 0303 and speak to a Parkinson’s nurse to gain their advice on this.

Best wishes,
Reah

I spoke to my GP, she didn’t have a clue

Sounds like the problem by husband has. When he wakes, his throat feels so full he can hardly breathe and this can continue through day. Speech therapist said it is acid reflux and gave him useful tips to manage it. Sometimes these work and sometimes not. Similarly Omeprazole and Peptac works at times but not others and we can find no reason for the difference. Perhaps the therapist would help you as OH is definitely better than he was when problem began.

Hi Shandy1234,

That sounds like a real pain. Have you tried giving our helpline a call? One of our advisers can arrange for a Parkinson’s nurse to contact you within 24 hours.

Do keep us posted.

Best wishes,
Reah

I called the help line and was told constipation makes the condition worse. The tip of swallowing water when taking lactulose has made con less severe but the acid reflux still bad. Yesterday OH had so much after eating only two mouthfuls of a meal he has eaten many times that he could not eat for the rest of the day because his throat was so full. He kept coughing up discharge finding bits of food and even tablets in this. He seems Ok up to now but we are thinking of trying small amounts of food every couple of hours. Has anyone suffered so badly and found relief from anything? The omeprazole and peptac didn’t help yesterday,

My GP suggested I take a Mucinex, since then I’ve been luck not to have a repeat

I have never heard of that but I shall look into it. Thanks for the information as anything is worth trying.