Dad's driving

Hi Jellycake,
My husband has PD and has stopped driving now as his foot wobbling on the gas gives me travel sickness.
He still manoeuvres our caravan in reverse as I haven't got the hang of it yet but other than that I do all the driving and towing.
I hope your Dad realises that it's for the best in the long run that he gives up driving on the roads, it's just hard for him to give up that last bit of 'normality'.
Good luck to you
Hi
Giving up driving has been the hardest thing I have had to do. I feel I have lost my independence.
I actually stopped driving prior to diagnosis as I was scaring myself everytime I went out in the car.
A long journey from Wales on my own made me realise something was very wrong. I was stopping every 30 mins and I stalled more than once (one time on the motorway! thank goodness the traffic was slow moving!). My responses were very slow and I was misjudging turnings etc. When I finally reached home I parked the car and vowed I would not drive it until I knew what was wrong. I was a risk to myself and to others!
On diagnosis the first thing I was told to do was inform the DVLA. They were very caring and understanding. I had to surrender my licence. They did say that in the future if I felt ready to drive all I needed to do was contact them and I would have to have a medical to decide if I was fit to drive again. I hope that one day that will be happen but at the moment I know its not possible.
It took me days to put my licence in that envelope! I cried as though it was a bereavement. I did it though.... eventually.
The downside of not driving is having to rely on friends and family to take me places. I'm also on very friendly terms with my local taxi service!
Giving up driving is hard but in the scheme of things it was the best thing to do.

Promise
Well done I do understand my husband did the same thing and I dont drive so it has affected both of us Promise very very sensible .
That was a very sensible thing to do Promises, respect to you for coming to a decision yourself. Who knows, you may feel ready to try again in the future :)