Dat scan results

IF YOU GO FOR PIP MAKE SURE YOU TELL THEM ABOUT YOUR  WORSE DAY IE NOT BEING ABLE TO WALK WITHOUT BEING IN PAIN,NEED HELP GETTING AROUND UP THE STAIRS SO ON !

I am 36. Thanks Gus for your comment. I need to learn more about PD. Happy Easter:)
Thanks again. I will concentrate on my worse day for pip.

no worries,

Hi Krzysiek98

I was diagnosed 10 yrs ago with a Dat Scan.  For two years prior to that Consultant said it could be Essential Tremor.  Finally I had a Dat Scan which gave the diagnosis of PD.  I was 53 so not as young as you are but I was devastated.  I thought about work, driving I live on my own how will I cope and having to go onto tabs for  the rest of my live filled me with horror.   So we decided that I would wait until my body told me that I needed help  and it did two years later. 

I started off on Requip very low dose and gradually built up.  I am now on a variety of tabs plus at this moment I  have  B12 and Vit D deficiencies that are causing all manner of probs which I am trying to sort  out not easy at the moment.   But until January this year it had gone quite well with  the odd problem.  At the mom i am on a course of vit b12 jabs and vit d capsules and i think it is throwing pd symptoms and meds out 

I  am not at my best at the moment typing this so please excuse any glaring typos.

there is hope at the end of the tunnel

kind regards

WYE 123, HOW DID YOU FIND OUT YOU HAD A VIT D DEFICIENCY

Hi Wye123 Thanks for your post. Hope you will soon feel better. I also heard about Q10 that it can help too.

There are interesting news about gene therapy:

http://neurosurgery.ucsf.edu/bankiewicz/parkinsons.html

It looks like there is hope in the future research.

This is indeed very promising but the article was published in 2010. It states that clinical trials will begin in 2012. The gene therapy programme appears to be on hold, but hopefully Research can tell us more about the trial progress.

GG

there doing gdnf at frenchay hospital bristol england.

Hi Gus

I found out about Vit D deficiency through a blood test which my GP asked me to have along with one for B12 deficiency which I also have. 

thanks wye123

Just had my Dat Scan and change my avatar to one of the images, if anyone would like to comment please feel free.

Is the red spots  the dopamine !

Yes Gus red spots are dopamine

I've had a dat scan just before my dbs surgery but no one showed me the images,so what stage are you and how big are the red spots meant to be ! is that good on the right side.

Had to buy the pictures for £20, which I then emailed to the Neurologist as the radiologist said the results might not been seen for 10 days. As for what stage I'm at I don't know Just diagnosed with PD in Jan, been retired 18 yrs after I damaged my spine at work, had weird symptoms all the time.

If you combine the two red spots that is just smaller than one should be. Apparently there should be two equal comma shaped red / orange bits going to white in the centre, either side.

ok thanks  smile

Hi All,

first time done anything like this. Got told by Neuro two weeks ago that i have parkinsons. Immediatelly put me on 100mg ledovpa 3 time a day and rasagline once a day. Datscan booked for 16th May and further neuro meeting on 30th May. medication has worked wonders and I only go backwards on long days ,possibly need 4 a day. I have a question to you all. If my Datscan comes back normal does that mean I definately do not have parkinsons or could it still be diagnosed as parkinsons?

Thanks Tony

Hi Top Cat,

My neuro told me my datscan was normal but he had not seen it himself.  He had just had the report from the radiologist.  However, next time I saw him, he said there was "hardly anything" on my scan.  He still diagnosed PD due to my symptoms and the fact that the dopamine agonists helped me greatly.  I don't think the datscan is absolutely foolproof!

Lexi