Daughter and dad story

Thanks for your words and thoughts Pam. All the best to you & your Mum.

I guess we have to trust ourselves and be open to ask for help. I find the inability to attribute an effect to a particular cause particularly challenging.

Incidentally I took Dad out for a coffee a week or so before his fall and on the 5 minute walk there he walked freely- ambling contentedly - like I hadn’t seen for 4 years then just 30 minutes later on the way back he reverted to the nervous stuttering. Incredible variability.

Thank you Yogalady.

Ah the fluid intake question… that’s a perennial one for him/us.

Thanks and best wishes for you an your family Tot.

Hi Charlie
My father has also experienced some very down times, the amount of times I have heard him say he doesn’t want to live anymore. Understandable in the circumstances.
Listen to him, thats all I do, another hour or so he might feel different and it will pass, until next time.
I do try to take dad out in wheelchair now, to park when weather good and now things are opening up bit more after covid I should, when weather better, be able to take dad to sit outside pub for lunch or go to coffee shop for cake.
Trying to keep any interests going helps, watching sport together, put on few bets on races for interest, eating together has become a big part.
I have come to realise its now not about solving, its about being there for good and bad, cherishing the good times and still trying to make memories.
Good luck, be a good listener, and make some cherished memories. xxx

3 Likes

Looking back on this 12 months later I recognise how I’ve shifted towards this - just being there, and enjoying the times we have, listening without fixing. Thanks for your wisdom.