DBS. Pros and cons

hi Gus had my stimulator activated tuesday felt great walked out of hospital nearly normal from wed morn feel really bad freezing dystonia and other problems are showing did you suffer from anything similar or should i let the hosnpital know as i was not told this may happen how many programs do you have on your remote ? before
you felt better your help is greatly appreciated thanks for all your help

Hi there, Yes you need to phone up ,they will see you straight away and they will adjust settings & also your meds .A good thing to do if you ask them see if you can get a over night stay in hospital so then your be able to see what and how you feeling next day.If not and you can afford book a small b&b or hotel for the night. They are very quick in getting you back to see your dbs nurse. It really helped me by staying overnight. I felt brilliant got on the train back home with in a hour felt like crap so I stayed overnight and it was well worth it :ok_hand:.

HI phoned up the hospital the have adjusted my meds touch wood this helps restarted them today feeling better already cheers J

Let’s hope so ,that works but your get there in the end and have your life back I was twicking mine for best part of a year be patient .all the best :ok_hand: ring them if your not happy

Hi Gus still tweeking my meds and the stimulator not been great but as you said they can take up to a year to get satisfactorily results if i dont message you before have a Merry xmas and a Happy New Year to You and Your Family jay

That’s great news glad your getting part of your life back .merry Xmas

Hi, my hubby has had PD for 11years now (diag @ 52) he finally got DBS feb 21 (as was put off due to lockdown). His tremors are almost non existent, he can get out of bed & shave no bother. He eats his meals without my help now, which is fantastic. He has levelled out completely… 12 months on & i cannot see any cons in having DBS… he did go through rigorous assessments to be accepted for it, as it is not suitable for everyone…at the end of the day it is a neurological condition & that has its own cons…living with a PD sufferer isn’t easy at the best of times… good luck & if accepted for DBS go for it, you have nothing to lose xx

1 Like

Hi everyone,

A year on from the end of the thread. I hope all of you with DBS are coping well. I was diagnosed with PD two years ago but drugs have had no or little effect for the tremor so I am down for a pre-assessment at Bristol in March.
Like Nufcash the thought of having wires, drills any where near my brain worries me but on the other hand having something at my disposal that can help my tremor as I get older is useful.
Thank you for your conversations.
Matthew

I am coping well Matthew. I hope your assessment goes well for you. I had the DBS operation last March. There are risks involved, but it was worth it.

Hello My husband is in his early 70s. He had a violent tremor which made his life not worth living. He had DBS in Bristol a few years ago and has had no tremor or just a slight one at times since then. It has given him a huge boost to his quality of life. Bristol was an amazing service and he still returns for a Mot now and again. The operation was plain sailing and when I visited him the next day he was up and dressed and I was told he could go home. The only down side is that his poor speech has got worse and he has a bad stammer - like the tremor has been moved to his voice, but the terrible limb tremor has gone. We have no regrets whatsoever. But this operation is not for everyone and does not help people in certain situations, or with certain types of Parkinsons. Good Luck to anyone who goes down this route. We have 2 other chaps in our local Parkinsons Branch who have had this procedure in Bristol and both have benefitted as my husband has.