Diagnosis yesterday and so many questions

Timescales really are varied and individual. For myself, having been diagnosed at 47 about 18 months ago, I’m currently working full time but finding that increasingly challenging and will shortly be moving to a reduced hours week. I expect to work part time for 4-5 more years and retire around 53-54. I am hoping to still be reasonably active for a further 5 years after that.

So yes, 10 years could be a reasonable assumption.

But it could be better or worse than that, and the main thing is to adapt as things change.

1 Like

Hi Cleo
Firstly welcome to the forum. I only joined a couple of months ago and I have found great support.
My husband Ian was diagnosed 3 years and though I suspected he had PD it was still a shock to hear this suspicion put into words. I felt our life as we knew it was over. I found it really difficult to talk about and often found myself sitting in the car screaming and crying. I wasn’t crying for me but for Ian. This was a man who is a fantastic Husband and Dad and as we now had 4 Grandchildren we both adore he would be unable to do all the stuff he did with our own 2 children.
However, you do accept PD for what it is. No 2 people have the same symptoms. Write down any questions as they occur and the same with symptoms. As for telling your children maybe mention Mummy has a silly hand/ leg or my head is full of cotton wool today can you help me out today.
Ian told our children and close family but he took a couple of weeks to get this diagnosis straight in his head. At that time our Grandchildren were 13 10 7
and 6. We had made the decision to only mention PD if the need arose. The older children were told the following year as they were questioning the amount of hospital/ Drs appts.
The younger 2 were told last year as Ethan had overheard us talking and wanted to know what PD was. I am amazed at the care and attention given to Ian by Ethan now 10 and his Sister Freya 9. These kids have a greater awareness of PD than most adults! They always make sure that the floor area is clear so Papa doesn’t fall and that he is safe, make sure his food is cut into bite sized pieces to prevent choking and that he has a straw to drink!
Take time to absorb your diagnosis, accept all the help offered, and if possible try and involve your ex husband as he is their father and may need to take his children for longer periods of time to allow you to rest.
Our local hospital Physiotherapy Dept has Tai Chi classes weekly specifically for PD patients and this is great exercise and can be done seated. Maybe there is something similar near you? Sorry this is so long and I hope it helps. Remember and phone Parkinson’s UK as they are a valuable resource and will help and support you in any way they can.
Good luck Cleo
Heather from Greenock on the Clyde in Scotland x

1 Like

Dear all, thanks so much for the positive messages and comments, it’s really helped!