Dopamine agonists and gambling addiction

Compulsive versus patholgical

My father was Irish and its no secret that many Irish like a dram or too. However, although his brothers could drink at least twice as much as him and I never saw them drunk, he was alcoholic and they were not. The difference being that my father would spend his last penny on drink and so lived on the edge, e.g. spent many a night in the doss houses around KingsCross in London or overnight at her majesty's pleasure whereas his brothers were perfectly respectable solvent citizens. When someone pursues a course of action to their own detriment where even self-preservation or the well-being of their family does not seem sufficient motivation to desist, their reward (dopamine) system is up the creek whateveer triggered the behaviour in the first place. There is probably also a genetic susceptibility as well and I don't necessarily mean any previous tendencies or personality traits.
This comment was removed by a moderator because it didn't abide by the forum rules. For more information see our guidelines at: http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/forum-terms-and-conditions/forum-help/forum-user-guidelines.aspx
This comment was removed by a moderator because it didn't abide by the forum rules. For more information see our guidelines at: http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/forum-terms-and-conditions/forum-help/forum-user-guidelines.aspx
Well, please tell me that I have stumbled onto the wrong thread here. Its more like a betting shop than an OCD thread. However, I am beginning to think that Titan is either a completely unempathic person, or he is actually effected by the DA's and protesteth too much!!!!

I think it is an absolute disgrace that this sort of behavior is allowed to continue by the moderators with intervention!!! This site is fast becoming a joke and it is about time the moderators do what they are being paid for.

I also want to let anybody who might be remotely interested that I have been interviewed by David Okai today, so I am sure that he will be contacting some of you soon, if indeed he hasn't already.

Glenchass

David Okai
Ho hum.

It seems to me that everything which needs to be said on these threads HAS been said. Until we hear of some exciting new research results, or yet another desperate newbie arrives with a horrific tale to tell.

But everyone seems to want to have the last word (or conversely wants to make sure the ""other guy" doesn't get it). And yes, I know I'll be accused of just such behaviour myself merely by posting this.

Come on folks, enough's enough.

Quote "I think it is an absolute disgrace that this sort of behavior is allowed to continue by the moderators with intervention!!! This site is fast becoming a joke and it is about time the moderators do what they are being paid for. " Unquote

They are paid ?
Personally I find Ezinda one of the fairest, even-handed and thoughtful moderators we've had for a long time.

Ray.
I am having real problems since my change in medication , I have started putting big money into roulette machines without even trying to win, I am meeting the consultant and Parkinson's nurse next Tuesday but in the meantime how much more can I take, I now know what compulsive behaviour is, and yes we should question the manufacturers.

Johnnyquest
hi Johnnyquest
do you have a partner? if so,you could admit your problem to them and hand over your cards, cheque book etc until you see the neuro, and take them with you. if its difficult to talk about you could write it down and hand it to them. just a suggestion (assuming you havent told them)!

have you just moved to a DA or increased the dose of an existing one?

thanks for the advice on work - unfortunately still have dependents and very little money!

GOOD LUCK
Hi Johnyquest,

I urge you to contact your PD Nurse/Neurologist today and tell them what you just told us!! Tuesday is to far away, you need help now. You can also call the helpline 08088000303. It is an excellent service which I found a god send when I was suffering from the side effects of DA's.

Best regards

Gambling Addiction. I had never gambled but after being diagnosed with PD 4 years ago, last year I got into on line slot games, like Gill at first it was a bit of fun and if ever I lost I always then seemed to win so the books balanced and it was something to pass the time during the night when I could not sleep.

well we all know what happens, you start to loose but not win it back, the crunch came for me when I realised I had used the monthly money I would need to pay the bills.  My husband who by the way is amazing had no idea until then , I will never forget the hurt and disappointment on his face.  

I have seen my consultant and he confirmed it was the Ropinerole I was taking and he is currently getting me to also take Madopa I also take rasogilin. 

I thought everything would be sorted my husband knew, my gp and my  Consultant

The whole thing has left not only a huge debt but I am now on antidepressants and to be quite honest if I could stay in my bedroom and never come out I would not mind.  I am disgusted with myself not just for loosing the money but for the deceit and lies, I like Gill would go to any length to get money to gamble , there is no concept of the amount you are spending and your view is that your just trying to win it back. 

I clearly am not at the stage of stopping although I am trying so so very hard.

is anyone else going through this right now? Of has anyone recently changed their medication if so what has helped all suggestions greatly received.

Have realised posts disappear as soon as I start correcting them so won't bother now!

Third attempt...

Where to start, Cherub?

I had hoped there would never be another of these posts.

The only way to stop the DA/OCD nightmare is to stop the DA, the Ropinirole, completely.

This needs to be done slowly under medical supervision, and a new Levadopa regime built up to control the PD symptoms.

you and your partner will need counselling to understand what has happened to you and to come to terms with the life of lies and deceit you have lived.

No neuro should have left you like this, still taking the destructive drug.

Did he or she warn you?

Explain what had caused this?

Offer multi-disciplinary help?

Seek good advice...the helpline, your Parkinsons nurse.....demand help...it is out there.

I wrote to our neuro telling him exactly how we were destroyed by my husband's drug-fuelled activities, told our GP we needed a change of neuro to one who understood the DA horror, begged our Nurse for help and in the end we got wonderful support.

The withdrawal from Requip was very hard but life can be good again.

Good luck...let us know how you get on.

Love

GG

x

Thank You GG for your reply

My Gp takes no interest in my PD and just prescribes what y consultant suggests.  

What concerns me is that all the drugs Ropinirol and madapa state they can give you addictiction to lots of different things.

Has anyone come off a medication replaced it with another and found that the addiction dissapeared?

How long does it take?  I cant belive that i would ever lie to my husband but i did and that upsets me more than anything.

I know i am not free of this curs yet, how long does it take? does it ever go away?

Cherub x