DVLA medical licence renewal. How long is too long

Hi PDS,
So sorry to hear about your car accident, and now of your difficulties in trying to get your driving licence back . One and a half years seems an extraordinarily long time to be waiting.Have you had no explanations for the long delay?
I am sure in time, you will receive a response, but of course in the meantime, you are stuck in limbo. I wish I knew how you could proceed. Perhaps someone here will have some advice. Meanwhile, know that others are thinking of you and wishing you well Best wishes. EMx

I to am having the problem with renewing my licence at the age of 79.
I have had 2 eye tests, 2 medical checks an still no licence.
Ok the licence is for Group 2 to include C1E and D1E as new regulations appear to require it for towing my caravan which is 1600kg.
I like others above have rung DVLA waited ages only to be told it is with the medical team.
Then about 2 weeks ago I recieved a further letter stating that they were contacting my doctors again.
It continued to ask me to read leaflet INF94 which I did.
In it a paragraph states that unless you have been told not to drive then whilst a decision is being made you can continue to drive within the classes/groups that your expired licence shows.
So please read INF94 and the make a decision to drive within the classes you had
Hope this clears up some of your queries.