Exercise is the answer

I usually feel better with exercise, especially when I fall into a slump. “…take control of your disease…” is excellent advice.

Hi john
Sorry for slow reply. Yes please would you send me details of the Martlesham class. I would be keen to try them
Thank you
Steph

Och well I think. I have been ignored. Well I will just lie low with my fractured foot.most prob better off talking to myself.

Hi Babs, I am the same and wish I could exercise/walk for hours/cycle/go to the gym/ etc. All things I could do before Chronic Osteoarthritis and Fibromyalga came along and left in in so much pain. I am sure continued exercise does help peeps with PD but I’m not able to even start. I went to pain clinic where I thought would get advise on coping with pain. But all that happened was my pain patches were reduced and I was given Gabapentin. Which does nothing for my osteo pain, so I am now even less active. All this while still a question mark over PD.
Waaah!
Rose

Hi Steph you can contact Kim at [email protected]
She runs 2 classes, one for people who are able to stand and move easily and one for people who are less able.

I’ll look out for you

Regards

John

Hi Rose
Thanks so much for your reply.

I am on gabapentin as well and a low dose of antidepressant
I also take codyramol
Which all seem to work for me. Before my back operation I was in. The worst pain ever.

Yes it’s rubbish not being able to walk far or go. To an aerobics class.

I hope that you get everything sorted soon

Best wishes Babsx

Hi John,

I contacted Kim, and will be attending my first class in April.
Looking forward to it

Thank you
Steph

Hi John

I would be very interested in the Warrior classes for my husband. We live in Oulton Broad so would be happy to travel to Martlesham. He may also be interested in the boxing classes in Norwich so would appreciate details of that too.

Many thanks,
Marian

Im going to look into the Facebook page mentioned above .i haven’t been able to find any pd warrior type classes in my area (north east Lincolnshire )

Hi. Details of the parkinsons boxing class in Norwich are listed on the Norwich and district parkinsons uk support group site

Google the Paleo diet. It is very well established in the USA. I went onto it on the advice of a nutritionist who also put me through a series of tests that went off to the USA for analysis.
Nordic walking has changed my walking and balance issues very well. Much recommended! Look at nordicwalking UK website for details.
Cheers
John

I saw my consultant on Friday and he said “I’ve never seen that before” and he indicated that my balance has improved. I’ve only practised tai chi once a week at the weekly classes (besides a few of the routines at home) but have kept up other work out routines (including push ups and crunches and going for walks). I was pleased to hear that my balance has improved

1 Like

Exercise can really help to maintain fitness and solving the problems cause by this disease. But instead of doing hard strenuous exercises one must go through the light one first. I’m happy that you are doing boxing, and its a great sport with lot of benefits but preventing injury is most important for remaining fit. For those who don’t think to start hard exercises then these tips https://www.aqfsports.com/blogs/news/how-to-stay-fit-in-shape-with-these-simple-tips can help them much. I believe that keeping routine while doing exercise is important for staying fit and healthy.

Hello all

U

1 Like

As an ex PE teacher with Parkinson’s I initially tried quite a few online videos on YouTube for balance, strength and flexibility. I ended up developing my own regime that suited my needs and was one I could stick too. I think this is the best solution as if you don’t ‘use it’ you ‘lose it’.

Every morning I do stretches of my lower legs (hamstrings, quads and calf muscles) backwards and forwards walking, heel toe heel toe etc., sidestepping, figure of eight walking x10, practice falling and recovering backwards, forwards and to the side, balance on one leg for 30 seconds (I upped this to with eyes closed later) heel toe in line balance, alternate foot balance,

Circling arms backwards and forwards, hip circling, dexterity exercise for hand wrists and arms, simple yoga for lower back (hyperflexion dropping hips to ground x 5) 30 easy sit ups (only go 45 degrees) and lastly 25 press ups.

That sounds a lot but only takes 10-15 minutes. Later in the day I do 40 minutes gentle pedalling on my indoor bike (for my heart) whilst watching TV and then (also in front of TV) do some arm exercises with TheraBand and finally seated squats with two legs and single leg.

That also sounds a lot but only takes an hour. If I have a bad day I drop one part of the routine. Now you might want to do more or less than this.

I’ve been doing this ‘religiously’ for 4 years and my balance has improved, my handwriting has improved and I even beat my wife at table tennis.

All I can say is it improves your mental well being and if I can still do 25 press ups I can, well, still do 25 press ups so it keeps a track of your physical regression in a way.

Watch a few YouTube videos and yoga videos chose the parts you like or address your particular needs devise your own routine and stick to doing it but don’t be afraid to modify it if it is boring, dangerous or too easy (no pain no gain).

I found standing on one leg easy enough so I have now gradually developed to doing it with my eyes closed, this was a challenge but was pleasing when I did it. I have only fallen once in 4 years outdoors (not whilst exercising). Exercise works if you don’t like the word exercise substitute ‘activity’, good luck. Use it or lose it! Lastly, only do gradually and SAFELY at first.

OMG Gary, that’s tremendous! I am 75 and was Dix 4 years ago. I exercise 5 days a week in Zoom classes based on PD Warriors but have gradually become less able to reach the level I was at 2/3 years ago. I don’t know if this is PD progression or my age! My biggest problem is walking because I freeze and then start to festinate which is quite scary my coordination is also poor with arm swings and heel toe! Is there any advice you can give and would you consider a video of your exercise regime? Regards John