Extreme anxiety

I really hope someone can offer me advice. My husband is 59 and has PD for 10 years. He is extremely anxious and has become very frightened of people he used to be friends with.
This is causing real issues for me as he won’t let me out on my own and he wants to be with me all the time. He is constantly worrying about our two children as he says something is going to happen to them but cannot express what his concerns are.
Has anyone else had this problem and if so how could I help him to feel better.
His behaviour is having a terrible impact on my family and I’m not sure how much longer we can live like this.

Hi Bow1,

Sorry to hear about the anxiety issues your husband is facing and the effect on you and your family. We’re sure some members will be along soon to share their experiences with you. Until then, you may find it useful to take a look at the experiences posted here.

Please also feel free to call our Helpline advisers on 0808 800 0303 if you would like to talk to someone. They would be happy to offer you support and advice.

Best wishes,
Edwina
Moderation Team

Hello Bow1. I was helped a lot by taking an antidepressant. My Parkinson’s nurse suggested this as she felt my extreme anxiety was provoked by underlying depression and with hindsight I think she was right. I take mirtazepine and although it’s still a battle I am a lot better. I hope you find some help soon.

Thank you for getting back to me. My husband has just started on the same antidepressants so I am hoping that in time this will help. We honestly cannot go on as we are.

Hi @Bow1,

You’re welcome and I hope your husband starts to see some improvements with his anxiety now that he has been prescribed with antidepressants.

Best wishes,
Reah

Hi my husband got diagnosed in 2013 and suffers the same way as your husband he is on antidepressants but he still worries about anything and everything. He can’t be left on his own as that panics him too, he never used to be like this. I wait for something to work on his mood as he wants to be everywhere I am too.

Hi, my wife now 58 was diagnosed with PD 20 years ago. 3 years ago she had to have her bowel removed due to ulcerative colitis. Leading up to the op she tried every available medicine to try to control it but nothing worked and by that time she was little over 5 stone in weight.
During her lengthy stay in hospital her behaviour changed and I put it down to the stress & drama of the whole experience but looking back I can see that this was the beginning of the type of behaviour you describe your husband has.
3 years on we are still battling with this. Her consultant has confirmed to us that this type of behaviour is not uncommon in PD sufferers and you can read about it under psychosis and or delusions on the Parkinsons website. My wife did try a couple of antidepressants with little/no effect, there is another drug they would like my wife to try but because she is in denial that there is anything wrong she refuses to give it a try. For 3 years now we (her family) have been saying this can’t go on but it does. I fear that if I give up being her main carer she will be taken into a secure hospital.
Speak with your consultant and push for help not only for your husband but you need to think of yourself to.
I wish you all the best and would be happy to talk by phone if it would be of help to you.

1 Like

Sorry to hear about your husband’s anxiety problem. My husband was diagnosed two years’ ago and displayed high anxiety levels for some time prior to that. Amongst his other meds, he now takes Duloxetine, and this appears to have done the trick. Long may it continue! Hope your husband’s meds work but if not, get them to prescribe something else; sometimes it’s a case of trial and error. Good luck!

Thank you for that Nettie,
I am my wits end as I have to go back to work soon it is emotionally draining having to be with someone all day every day.

Thank you for getting back to me. It sounds like you and your family have been through a really hard time. Like your wife I think my husband is in denial about his anxiety too.

It is a terrible situation to be in but I hope you can find a solution (and me too).

Thanks Oodles,
Fingers crossed the antidepressants start working for my husband.

Hi,

I’m sorry to hear about the anxiety and impact it’s having on all of you, I work in CBT and a lot of people can find it helpful to do focused work on anxiety or worry. CBT is free on the NHS and you can either refer through your GP or you can often refer yourself into IAPT (improving access to psychological therapies) services who can offer treatment free of charge.

I hope this is helpful and best wishes to you and your family.

1 Like

Hi @Laura1,:wave:

Welcome to the forum! :slightly_smiling_face:

Great advice, I hope we get to see more of you on the forum. If you need any help or support please do not hesitate to shout.

Best wishes,
Reah
Forum Community Manager

2 Likes

Thanks Laura, funnily enough I made a self referral today. I have also found there is a CBT group at our local PD unit so I will look into this further.

1 Like

Anxiety is sometimes worse symptom. I too suffer woth it.