Eyesight problems with Neupro?

I have been using Sinemet for 2 years and have recently found it difficult to manage ‘wearing off symptoms’. My Consulant suggested I looked at different dosage patterns. I found taking meds every 3 hrs 6.30/9.30/12.30/15.30 and 19.30 which meant 2 x 12.5/50 tabs 5 times a day. Unfortunately this didn’t last very long and I found I needed another dose before bed to stop me getting ‘restless legs’ and the dreaded club foot on waking in the morning.

I was prescribed a daily Resagaline as a supplementary treatment but this did not agree with me and now my Consultant has prescribed Neupro (Rotigotine) - starting at 2mg per day, I have been on it for just over a week and have found that my dyskinesis appears to be more intense and lasting longer. I am going to monitor this.
The other thing I have noticed is that I seem to have become very sensitive to light and visual disturbances. I know this is one of the rare side effects and am concerned that I might be risking my eyesight especially I have history of glaucoma in my family. My optician has said my eyes look OK. Has anyone else had any visual problems? ( I have a vague memory of seeing a research report about PD medications and visual problems a couple of years ago but can’t find it.)

My consultant is also keen to increase the Neupro dosage 4mg. I am not sure why there is such enthusiasm for increasing dosage all the time! I am also not clear about next steps if Neupro does not prove to be suitable. Happy days!

Hi Marigold.

Sorry to hear about all the changes to your medication and resultant side-effects. With regard to your query about visual problems, we’d recommend giving our Helpline a try, as they’re able to offer professional advice on a wide range of issues affecting Parkinson’s patients.

You can reach them via email at [email protected], or call free on 0808 800 0303. Lines are open Monday to Friday from 9am to 7pm, and on Saturday from 10am-2pm.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,

Owen,
Moderation Team