Fatigue... Is it caused by Parkinsons or by lack of sleep?

I don't know about stimulating my brain but it sure eases my aches.

Hammer throwing it is then Gus. Try practising by throwing the post man down the path. When he lands say.......hows that for a first class delivery.

Morph.

i like that !

My OH, the PWP, has no problem sleeping at any time of the day, even within a few hours of getting up in the morning. They doze off many times a day.

However, OH disturbs me many times during the night going to the loo. They are back to sleep within minutes but it takes me ages, if at all, to get back to sleep and yet I have to cope with the next day, regardless of lack of sleep. So, PWP, have a thought for us carers please.

So, IMO, fatigue is symptom but is not caused by lack of sleep.

So fatigue and exhaustion are one of the major signs of PD and I have them in spades. I don't think it's due to lack of sleep, since I sleep 10 to 12 hours a night, or more (I'm retired--may be making up for all those years of sleep deprivation?).  Anyway, this is an issue because trouble falling asleep is also part of PD. What has helped me most is taking 1/2 to a whole klonopin that my doctor prescribed. I also find taking a good calcium source before bed helps. The drag is that no matter how much sleep I get, I still feel fatigued and lethargic.I force myself to do stuff because resting doesn't make the problem better. I force myself to walk and exercise with weights and stretch--that does seem to help but briefly.  Would welcome tips....

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass; it's about learning to dance in the rain."

This is the first time I've used the forum..a bit like talking into the void...but I too seem to have got to a tired all the time bit, after having a good few years of not feeling too bad.  I don't just feel tired, but unwell.  And with this comes a general sense of gloom, which disappears if I get a good day.  Like you, resting doesn't seem to help much.  And the topic of feeling unwell/tired doesn't get much help from the professionals.  This doesn't help you much perhaps, but we can struggle on together..

I get tired.........unusually so. I look back now and wonder how I managed to do so much before PD.

I try to work round it though. If I go out with my wife........I walk a bit......sit a bit......and on bad days get a taxi back home if I'm local.

I refuse to sit at home wasting the time that's left to me.

If I'm in town I call it being dumped.......this will be on a public seat if it's a nice day.......a pub if it's a wet day.

I forced myself to stop feeling  down by being cheerful with others and having a laugh.

Life isn't perfect.....it never will be again, but it has still got value.

I do some slightly odd things to make me feel alive. I take more notice of my wife and behave as if we have just met on occasions. At first she wondered why. Then she started to realise I am making the most of what's left and now quite enjoys the attention.We laugh a lot about it and make silly comments.

I make use of my bus pass despite the fact I don't get far when I reach my destination.

I buy flowers for my Mother In Law because it gives me a buzz to see I can still make someone smile.

Life deals us some bad breaks. With a bit of effort there are still options even though they may be limited.

Last week I sat next to a gentleman who was terminally ill with a brain tumour. We had a laugh together. I came away thinking he was very brave and I was not in as bad a situation as him.

My PD nurse gives me a lift when ever I see her, my consultant is brilliant. I will not let all this good work go to waste by being miserable.

Anyone who thinks it's easy doing this is p**sing up the wrong tree. It's damn hard,,,,,,,but it's worth it.

Don't get down get even. Have a chat with BA on here and others. They will provide a lift.

Morph. xxx

I've only been diagnosed but would say fatigue & possibly depression I've suffered over last 2 yrs were present   Before the physical symptoms. Rigidity in my case

it can also be a side effect of the meds we have to take I used to be able to sleep 10hrs straight through now I manage about 6 per night.

BB x

Hi, I'm Mary diagnosed 3 years ago.  For the last 6 months, I have woken up feeling OK but within an hour I feel drained, dizzy and staggering like a drunken sailor.  My whole body shakes. I am using Madopar  three times a day,   By the end of the day after taking all of my tablets, plus many more, my head clears and by 9ish My symptons disappear.  I sleep for an hour at a time all through the night.  The next day I am ok.  Then out of the blue it all starts again.  I am wondering if my Prescriptions are fighting each other.  I also have weird dreams and nightmares.

Any one have the same symptons please

Hi mary

Hard too know what exactly your doing with ''plus many more'' ?? but it sounds like your pill regime could do with re organising???, waking up first thing  and feeling drained/dizzy/shakes sounds like your body is calling for the madopar boost, but then you say you wake fine  and then get those feelings?.

your sleep sounds like a sleep disorder which i have as well from well before being diagnosed involving vivid dreams your PD nurse/neuro can easily sort out both issues for you too Sleep more soundly and  even out pill dose/timing.

sleeping problems are very common with pd there is something to be said for quality sleep as opposed to how long we sleep i have had to be on Zoplicone for the past 2 years one more pill worth it as far as i am concerned.

bb x 

yeah i would say zoplicone is a life saver for getting a good night sleep, waking up the next day fresh & alert not like a zombie .

Agreed BB xx