First Time Here

"I'm sure you'll find this forum useful. Nothing better than talking to real people with PD and not reading things in some textbook."

AND of course CARERS. Didn't mean to leave them out :wink:
What a wonderful welcome from you all :smile: It is comforting to know that I'm not alone, you are all very nice and most of all understanding each others emotional & physical problems with pd.Hope to see you around.Thanks!!!
Hi Nene
I note you want to know what the future holds for you.
A tiny bit of advice; when you read the books that list symptoms DON'T FORGET to read the bit that says not everyone gets all of them and some people only get one or two. I frightened myself reading loads of stuff and expected the very worst and 5 years later I'm only slightly less able than I was when diagnosed, without meds. I'm not typical of course; but then nobody is!
Best wishes
Hello nene and stardust, caroline, ray, annebernadette and other friends. This seems like the right place and time to introduce myself too. I have been reading the Forum for several weeks and find it comforting and helpful. I feel I know many of the members already. I hope i can be of some help and comfort too.

I was lucky enough to get early retirement from work recently, at 55,after being diagnosed with a DAT scan in April. Feel much less stiff as the pressure has reduced. I started with very minor symptoms two years ago. Have no resting tremor (although if I rest my hand on the mouse sometimes the cursor startes moving with a life of its own!), but have difficulty writing, cutting food, using my hands etc, some stiffness, definite slowness and occasional inability to move foot properly when walking or running. In fact my first symptom was finding I couldn't keep running, when doing my regular jog. I saw an osteopath who advised I see my GP.

My GP eventually referred me to the local neurology team and eventually I was diagnosed, it took about 18 months. I remain very mobile but look a bit rigid and sometimes feel slow and clumsy, gardening is harder.

Have just started to take some medication and took my first Azilect yesterday. Also seeing a physio tomorrow as I believe exercise will help me a lot and want to learn what to do to stop getting too much curvature of the spine!

Not sure how the threads work.. but will start looking out for others to join in and keep an eye on this one. By the way, keyboarding is a bit sticky for me, is it for everyone else?

Also what's the best we can hope for? i have not found all the positive stories yet! Should add I am enjoying a wonderful, full life at present, so genuinely feel reasonably lucky, despite Parkinson's and reckon there's no point worrying as it only spoils the now.
Hi Tilly2,

Welcome to the forum. I am sure you'll find it useful.

Not surprising it took 18 months to get to a diagnosis. Without the resting tremor you cannot rule out the more symmetrical diagnoses.

I have found quite a few positive stories. I will collate them together and send/post them. I printed and read about 2500 pages on PD when mum got diagnosed 3 months ago. To put this in perspective, 2 years ago when she got diagnosed with Breast Cancer the figure was 1500!! There are many more variables in this disease.

I will go over these notes on exercise but Tai-Chi is good for balance Any exercise is good as it moves the body and combats the rigidity and akinesia to some extent.

It is a great attitude you have, that's a very good start.

Kind regards,
rico
Tilly,

For a feelgood story search for "Paul Green" on the web. He is in Westport Connecticut and works out daily at the Saugatuck Rowing Club.

IIRC diagnosed at 75 and is now 87.

Best wishes,
rico
Many thanks Rico, its good to get a reply and to know there is so much positive experience to keep optimistic. Thank you for your encouragement, will read more of your postings. Hope you are feeling well.

Tilly
Hi Tilly,

Just caught up with your posts. I hope Azilect gives you some relief from your symptoms. If you click on forum help to the left of this page it will take you to a lot of useful info on how to use this site to its full potential. If you want to find out more about other peoples experience of using Azilect, click on search forum, again to the left of this page, type in Azilect and it should bring up references to posts.

Welcome to the forum!:)
hiya tilly 2 ,welcome to the forum ,many good friends on here ,and good surport as well:smile:im ali bin dx for 10 years hope to see u around x:smile:
Hello Tilly2 and a very warm welcome to the forum. I am 61 years of age and I have been dx for over ten years now. I worked full time for 8 years following dx and retired two years ago. I think that you have the right attitude to your own dx, just stay as positive as you can, taking each day as it comes, you will quickly realize that each day can be different with this condition, but at least you have now retired which should enable you to be more flexible with your days. The restrictions of the workplace made life difficult for me in the end and just the act of having to be there for a specific time every day became too much.

I hope that you enjoy your time with the forum and I am sure that you will learn a lot more from the people with the experiences than any medic.

Glenchass
Thank you cuttiepie, ali j and glenchasse for your welcome and advice. Am learning my way around the Forum now, but not a regular user. It's a bit tricky replying when you can't get the postings on the screen, when you are writng to check names, etc, isn't it.

The Azilect seems to be helping a bit (have taken it for 11 days, now). Although hands still don't function normally, but I live in hope. No obvious side effects. Also the physio was very helpful and after just 3 sessions over 2 weeks I am happily discharged with some helpful back and neck exercises to enhance rotation, strengthen my back and help posture. One satisfied customer.

Tilly 2