First time on forum

Hi all,

First time ever on a forum ! I am 62 years old and was dx about 5 years ago. Have had problems from the very beginning getting medication to suit me. At present I take Sinemet 62.5 - 7 tabs per day broken down as follows:

7.30 a.m. - 1.5 tabs
11.00 a.m - 1.5 "
2.30 p.m. - 1.5 "
5.30 p.m. - 1.5 "
9.00 p.m. - 1 "

Until 2 days ago I was taking 8.5 tabs per day but was experiencing really bad side effects. PD Nurse is exceptionally good and she spoke with my Consultant who is now suggesting another type of medication, a slow release Sinemet. It takes 2 weeks for prescription to be filtered through to my GP. This morning it took me forever to get going as I feel very stiff and sore. Feel like I am back to square one. Really hoping that slow release Sinemet will do the trick!
Hi Powrie, Welcome to the Forum, I am sure you will soon make lots of friends. Also you will find lots of people who may be able to help you with your dilemma. I have had PD for about 40 years. And have taken various tablets over the years,I guess I am lucky as most of the medication I have taken has been fine apart from one or two problems. At present I take mainly Sinemet Plus, 25/100 mg. One tablet eight times per day. I also take some other tablets but not in the same amounts. I take a slow release tablet before I go to bed . I am sure you will find a combination of medication which suits your needs. It's sometimes just a question of trial and error finding what suits you best. Do stay on the Forum, there is always someone who can help if you have a problem, or just need someone to talk to . and because they probably have PD too, then they understand how you feel too. Good Luck and ,once again, Welcome to the Forum .
:grin:
Welcome powrie , here you will find many answers to your countless fears and
worries, you are the same age as me though I was informed in 1999 that PD had
infiltrated my defences and was eagerly demolishing my dopamine producing cells
through a process of trial and error the optimum drug combination was found for
me Madopar and tolcapone, though I am about to begin tests which will determine
my suitability for Duodopa more on this later, but it looks promising, please
don't hesitate to enquire of any aspect of living with PD.
Kindest Regards fedexlike:grin:
Many thanks to Blue Angel and fedexlike for their very warm welcome to the Forum. I am definitely going to make an effort to log in every day for the chat. Anyone have any suggestions as to how to combat the stiffness I am having as a result of reducing meds ?
Hello powrie
1 Ibrufen+warm bath does improve things,you might still have the odd
pain but it snuffs out the worst.Good to hear from you again.
fedex