Have PD Symptoms Started

Hi all,This is my first post, I am 48, I am waiting to see a neurologist, I have been waiting 4 weeks now and still no date, I went to the docs with a tremor in my left hand which they said was anxiety, i told them it’s not and I want to see someone,I then went back with a sore left shoulder and they referred me to the walk in centre for an X-ray which they said it’s arthritis, I then went back to docs again because of lower back pain, I had an MRI which said I have lumbar spondylosis,over the last week my dominant arm (left) will not swing on it’s own, I can make it swing and do stuff as normal, also my walking has slowed and people are saying I have a bit of a limp (left leg) and sometimes walk as if I’m drunk, I have also started calling my 6 yr old son by my nephews name and I can go upstairs for something and totally forgot what it was I went up for (I’m sure most people forget things now and again) but when I call my son my nephews name it hurts me inside and I keep having to say sorry to him. Hopefully I’ll get to see the neurologist soon…

Hi all, this is also my first post, diagnosed just over a year ago at 48, not a complete shock as I’d been to the doctors four times & told them Google suggested I had PD, was told I was just stressed & given Prozac, finally GP consultation videoed, referred to neurologist who confirmed PD as soon as I walked through the door. Looking back first symptom was loss of smell, then a frozen shoulder, perhaps five years ago, then noticed ‘ broken arm’ hanging by my side & not swinging when walking, minor tremors when stressed, index finger twitching when typing, all on the left hand side. Meds and exercise helping.

Wish you all the best

Hi @seena_beena, :wave:

Welcome to the forum. :blush:

It’s great that you’re doing exercise to help manage your condition, keep it up! If you want extra tips, we have a lot of information regarding exercise on our website here: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/exercise.

I know you’ve been diagnosed for a year now; but the diagnosis is still relatively new, therefore, you may also found information on the ‘newly diagnosed’ section useful. You can find this section here: https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/newly-diagnosed-parkinsons

I hope you find the forum as well as the info above helpful.

Best wishes,
Reah
Forum Community Manager

Hey Ed

Not swinging my left arm when walking was what made me realise something was wrong, My GP totally dismissed my symptoms so I paid for a private neurologist appointment, I don’t know what your financial situation is but if you can afford it and you’re finding your GP a block then it’s something to consider, they can refer you back to the NHS for tests and treatment. As you suffer from anxiety it may be related but a neurologist is your best bet if you’re worried about Parkinson’s. My only other advice is not to google symptoms or Parkinson’s, you’ll drive your anxiety higher, I did it , we all do, but try not to :slight_smile: