Hello from a concerned wife

I started with neck damage on right side and then shoulder stiffness. This led to lack of swing on right and then dragging of right leg. It can get better or worse depending on how tired i am.

Hi

Hubby has a frozen shoulder with pain in his biceps that keep him up pretty much all night. This started after an accident on his shoulder.
He has had a few flora induced injections that give him relief for a few weeks.
He sleeps with his arm/shoulder propped up.
I’m going to keep an eye out for ‘cogwheeling’ and am secretly studying his gate. I have definitely noticed he is worse when tired.
Does anyone else sometimes go a little ‘absent’ before an attack.? Sorry to ask so many questions, but I have so many things going on in my mind at the moment.
Thanks

Hi Again, You don’t need to apologise for asking questions it does you good to get to know as much about what you are taking on with your husband so that you are prepared. If you go to the Research item in this Forum and click on Research Support Network and click on the Parkinsons UK Nurse topic, one of the Moderators has put two links on there which may be of use to you in your quest for answers. You certainly can’t have too much information about this very broad subject.

Les

Hi me again

I’ve noticed hubby has started dragging his leg quiet a bit when tired and he says it’s like he has a dead leg. His speach is slower during these episodes and he complains of a fuzzy head.He also seems to be really short tempered and argumentative before this comes on and then has a very hazy recognition of anything.
He’s still active in work and goes to the gym everyday , but falls asleep as soon as he sits down. I haven’t pushed him to get the tests done and have taken on board what you guys have said, but must admit it is hurting me so much to see him this way. I really hope he seeks help soon .
X

I forgot to mention his posture is stooped and his hands seem to swing mid air when he’s resting whilst stood rather than relax on his side. X

That about sums up how my husband is responding. Trying so hard to remain positive.

Hi @Concerned1,

It sounds like your husband’s health is really taking a toll on you which I’m really sorry to hear about. Even though he hasn’t had an official diagnosis’s, just the fear of having Parkinson’s will affect people differently, however, I truly appreciate how tough this must be to witness. Despite your husband’s reluctance to get a diagnosis, please continue to reassure him that he has nothing to be ashamed of and maybe try arranging another appointment with his GP.

If it helps we have a ‘Questions to ask my GP’ section on the Parkinson’s UK website that gives useful advise on how best to prepare for a GP appointment. You can find this information here, https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/questions-ask-my-gp. Hopefully this help your husband with being more open about his symptoms.

We also have a helpline service where you can speak to one of our advisers about some of the challenges that you’re currently facing. They’d be more than happy to offer you more help and support on this, please feel free to give them a call on 0808 800 0303.

I hope you find this information useful.

Best wishes,
Reah

Hi Reah

Thanks for taking the time to reply. Hubby had a good weekend. We actually went to the cinemas Saturday, and we giggled as I pocked him to wake him, as he kept falling asleep .
Sunday, unfortunately he had really bad body shakes, which left him a little disorientated and tired, but he recovered and later admitted to it, something which surprised us all. Back with the consultant next week, and praying he opens up and talks about this.
I will read through the questions and answers tonight. Thankyou
I really pray, he gets help , sooner rather than later. Thanks again x

Concerned1, my eldest brother had the extreme form of shakes in as much that his whole body shook. If your husband doesn’t mention it then you should step up to the plate and do so irrespective of the consequences, he can’t be in denial like this and may even thank you once he starts to get the medication/help he needs to calm him down. Wishing you all the best for next week, keep us posted on the outcome.

Les

Hi Concerned1,

I’m happy to hear that your husband is taking steps to admitting to his symptoms. I hope all goes well with the consultant next week.

All the best,
Reah

Hi Concerned wife

I’ve just joined the forum and I would like to say a few words sort of in favour of denial. When I was first diagnosed, I deliberately chose denial as a way of coping in the earlier stages of the disease. I had as little to do with PD or the people who had it as I could. I did this in several ways and for several reasons. First, I did not want to read up or research PD because I did not want to fill my head with a disease that was incurable and progressive, and I had. Second, I thought it was better to mix with people who didn’t have PD and would drag me up than with people who did have it and would drag me down. Third, being freshly diagnosed, my symptoms were less pronounced and it was depressing to have contact with PD sufferers because they were mostly worse than me - indeed, they were my future. Finally, I did not want to define myself in terms of PD - I was, and am, rather more than that.

So, I wouldn’t be too bothered by your husband’s denial. There is a positive side to it and it can’t go on forever as PD is a progressive disease. Groucho Marx had the right idea when he said that he wouldn’t join a club that would accept him as a member!

Hi 4

Hi fast forward five years.
Hope everyone is well.
Sadly hubby is still in denial. Sto refuses to see anyone.
He now has full body tremors at rest and also when sleeping. They last a few minutes and he is very aware of them. He bobs his head and has teeth chatter.
He continues to have a frozen shoulder and has suddenly developed rigidity in his muscles.
He was in hospital overnight, with a hard bloated stomach, pains in his back, groin and inside legs and has been referred for a camera.
He’s now suffering with constipation, despite eating a very healthy diet, and absolutely no junk food.
His stomach swells, unexpectedly to the size and shape of a pregnant woman after eating and then returns to a normal size within an hour, despite not opening his bowls or passing wind.
His posture is more stooped and I notice only one arm swings on walking.
I tried the finger thumb test and toe tap yesterday with him( don’t even know if it’s a true test , and he did it to passify me) and he was unable to co ordinate .
Really at a loss now :cry: