Hypersexuality and Mirapexin

Oh Juju

I agree whole-heartedly.

Many thousands of PWP have had their lives ruined by these drugs.

it is 10 years since the Mayo Clinic published research showing 1 in 4 patients on a therapeutic dose of DAs suffered catastrophic impulse control disorders....1 in 3 of men under 50.

But profit and greed mean that drug companies and neuros carry on promoting/prescribing them and lives go on being devastated.

No legal challenge possible as they print a small, inaccurate warning in the leaflet.

How many more ruined lives?

GG

I carnt stand it anymore,go on go on,all that's done,no answers make my brain work,I just don't get it,I don't understand it all.Whats the difference between one and the other,whys my head feeling all scrambled up inside,please please someone explain the difference between them.

ingcool

Whats probably the  worse aspect of Hypersexuality in me  at least was I needed to explore sexual adventures with  my  dear  wife, now I have  to  say at  first  she was  very  in  fact  shockingly enthusiastic , well I dont need  to  go  into detail do I  just  say  everything, yes  everyhing,  you  name  it,  but  one rainy  Friday  we went  to this  club  and  she  was quickly  chatting to  two  attractive   22yr  olds ,  and  soon  they  were  dancing, and  I  feel like  a  pillock  dancing she looks  so sexy  so  the  more it  went  on  I  kNEW i  HAD to  act as  things  were getting  out  of  control, we were  asked back to a party but there were only three women and  30  blokes  so I  just drove  past  the  address and    that  was  not  the  first  time I had  put  my  lovely  wife   in harms  way, eventually she  sat me down and we  talked and talked we  were  both unaware  we  were  damaging  a  great marriage,  and 2 or 3 shocking  events  later I  stopped  the  HYPER  IN  ITS TRACKS, I  put  a really shocking  video on my laptop and  placed  it  where I  KNEW SHE  WOULD  FIND  IT,,,(she  did )  and  the pooh  hit  the fan,  she  was  so  disgusted  and  I also  that  I would  look as  such  filth  that  she  warned me  if  I DID  NOT  STOP  she  would  go, I  STOPPED  It  was  FED4s  ownd  brand  of  aversion therapy,  now  it  worked  for  me but it is  very  dangerous  your  partner must  be  willing  and  very  understanding  or  it  could  backfire  on  you.

I HAVE NEVER BEHAVED THAT  WAY  SINCE THE  HYPER IS   CAGED

FED4

Hi @karajaal,

A warm welcome to the forum. I can appreciate that acronyms can be quite tricky to understand if your new to the forum, although I’m not sure what “DA” strands for either. Can you let me know in what context it was used?

Just to help you out a little, here are few acronyms that you may come across on the forum.

PWP: people with Parkinson’s
OT: other half
PD: Parkinson’s disease
PN: Parkinson’s nurse
Meds: medication

We also have a ‘newly diagnosed’ section on our website which has a lot of useful information to help and support you. Feel free to check it out in your own time here - https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/newly-diagnosed-parkinsons. We also run information and support events that are specifically designed for people who are newly diagnosed with Parkinson’s which you can also find via the above link.

Lastly, if you have any questions about your recent diagnosis or about your medication, you can always contact our free and confidential helpline on 0808 800 0303 Monday-Friday: 9am-7pm or via email at [email protected].

Hope you find this useful.

Best wishes,
Reah - Forum Community Manager

DA stands for Dopamine Agonist. Medication usually given first to newer /younger onset people with Parkinsons (PWP). For example, Ropinerol. They usually help with muscular stiffness but have a reputation for having obsessive /compulsive side effects in some people.

1 Like

HI MAISIE WE HAVE BEEN THERE YOU ARE NOT ALONE ! The neuros reaction was not appropriate my husband came of the DAs gradually and the problem was solved without a catastrophic effect on PD symptoms Go to your gp or PD nurse and get further help another neuro if need be your man needs to be off the DA just like mine did HUGS xx

I have to say that since being on Azilect, Mirapexin and sinemet, that I have virtually no interest in all things sexual.
My wife and i (together 42 years) live more like brother and sister. We even have separate rooms.
As I am weaning myself off of these drugs I don’t feel any sexual urges returning.

Just having a flip through a few pages and saw your comments about the 3 meds. I have to say I still feel the need, nudge nudge. I have been married for 40 years and still find my wife a turn on. Ok we might not perform as often as we used to but it is just as enjoyable for both of us. I don’t think the 3 meds have done anything to stunt my sex drive.

It could be something else.
Different strokes etc.
Nothing excites me any more. It’s not just sex.
Even Liverpool top of the league!!!

This really does hurt so much , i was prescribed a DA in 2006 , it destroyed my marriage all the experiences i reported have come to be true, at the time i was not believed i was making things up to cover for my behaviour.
When everything had fallen apart and i could take no more i tried to get into our local psychiatric unit one night, they pointed me to AE where i left my DAs and i haven’t taken them since.

Do what ever you can do get off the tablets no form of OCB is ok i would sooner live slightly under medicated that go through that again.

I live alone now , things have been hard, but please please talk to your PD nurse no matter how embarrassing or sensitive, they can help they really can

Chris

Hi @Damandblast, :wave:

A warm welcome to the forum. :slightly_smiling_face:

Sadly, there are a number of people on the forum that have had similar experiences to you and it is truly devastating how hypsersexualitty has affected your lives. However, I hope your shared experiences will give you some comfort knowing that you are not alone - we also have a lot of information on this topic via the Parkinson’s UK.

I definitely agree with about speaking to a GP or Parkinson’s nurse about this; however, I would also strongly encourage that you or anyone else should consult with a healthcare professional before stopping any medication to prevent any further issues.

We have a wonderful team of advisers via our helpline service who are always willing to provide people with Parkinson’s with the help and support they need. Please feel free to give us a call on 0808 800 0303 or email us at [email protected].

Best wishes,
Reah
Forum Admin