Is it helpful to encourage pwp to be positive?

Oh absolutely Tot, thank you for your welcome and reply, being told to be positive and choosing to be are not the same thing. My friends hands on offer was just to illustrate a more helpful response with many more in between. Be positive or a theme variation was possibly at the time the most used comment. Strange thing to inhabit this world of Parkinsons, it even messes with semantics! Positive, hopeful, I don’t know what I am now, but so far I keep going by doing. What I can when I can. Nice to know there is a lot of reciprocal support here!

Hi 3Kays & welcome to the forum, it helps if you can make light of your condition, have a laugh with it in addition to having a positive attitude. I will very often make fun of myself when responding to someone on here. If you adopt a defeatist attitude from the start then you mays as well not be here but as with all of us on here, we adopt our own coping mechanisms. What works for one person may not suit the next but you find a way to cope with the condition. My eldest brother had the most severe form of Parkinsons in that his whole body shook, if he was in a place where people were unaware of his condition they would laugh at him. It is these people who are ignorant to whom I hope that they get a debilitating condition to know how it feels. Feel free to use the forum as a sounding board at any time you have something you want to get off your chest there’s always somebody about to help or give a response. Take care.

Les

Hi Cruisecontroller! Thank you for your response and encouragement. It is great that you find your positive attitude helps overall. I don’'t know what to call mine, I suppose I see myself as a strategist trying to work out how to tackle this foe’s taunting. Of course there are lighter moments and, as you say, each one of us employ a range of tools to help us cope. I’m in my 8th summer with Parkinson’s and I have the feeling you guessed that I am still angry after all! Take care too!

1 Like