Levadopa

Hi turnip / anne29 / shelly65 - do any of you suffer any dyskinesia on levodopa ?  I thought I had read somewhere that 100 percent of people on levodopa would get some measure of dyskinesia after 5 years on the meds .  If so, to what degree do experience this.  

Turnip you say you were on requip - how high a dose did u go to?  I am on 10 mg and don't really feel any benefit yet

arnie - did you take 100mg - did you notice any difference?

i dont get any dyskinesia yet apart possibly from an occassionaly head twitch. on the other hand without leavadopa i would soon be a complete mess. 

i believe  the average for requip is bout 12mg for best results but it varies a lot.  personally i wouldnt take more than that. i agree with shelley's points.

arnie - i can only stress the effects of protien on levadopa can be to practically nullify it . if it still doesnt work, that might be  a bit of a problem.  i found levadopa workd right away. i think that varies though. everyone is different.  it stayed constantish for 4 years but is accelerating a bit now. less and less neurons available which is why dbs is so handy - it doesnt need neurons.

Hi moonandstars,

No,so far no dyskinesia,keeping my fingers crossed I dont,but am aware some people do get them,often after about 5 years but dont think its anything like 100per cent.

Cheers  Anne D

Thanks guys - not sure what my options will be given when i next see neuro - no real benefit from 10 mg of requip, ........ dont really want to increase as have put on a stone, feel bloated/inflated and still walk like a drunkard...... But am wary of starting levodopa particularly as the two neuros where i go hold differing views which is very confusing.  Having tried azilect, mirapexin and now requip with not much success what else is there other than levodopa.

Moonandstars

No dyskeniesias but i have only been on levodopa since last November ,  , i asked my neuro what he recommended he said it was my choice but levodopa was the gold standard treatment for pd i said i wanted some normality back in my life and he said levodopa  would be best option as DA's wont work as well as a dopamine agonist , much the same as Turnip i have the odd leg twitch thats it nothing to really shout about and certainly not noticeable to anyone else .