Looking for advice and inspiration for the newly diagnosed

That is very good to hear and a very interesting point about earlier onset/diagnosis @JonJoe, I’m going to talk to my neurologist about it when I have my first real consultation at the end of the month. I hear so much bad stuff - sadly so much of it on the Parkingsons.org website which I find is full of little traps for me just pulling me into worst case scenario (I guess because it’s a fundraising website too!) - very little around about best case scenario! So thank you…

Jonjoe what a fantastic attitude you have to your personal journey, It is so important for others to read stories like yours.

Emily you are so right there are so many negative stories out there that you find you get pulled into. Just like any other diseases and illnesses there are a lot of people who are going through tough times and want to talk about it. Rightly so they want to get things of their chest. Unfortunately there will be stories we read that will make us feel down about the disease. However we have to remember each personwith PD is different which there is no point in thinking the worse case scenario is going to happen to you or loved ones. I myself fall into that trap many times but I have to pull myself back and change my way of thinking.

1 Like

Hi Emily,

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been diagnosed with Parkinson’s disease. I was diagnosed about three years ago, and I’m still adjusting to it. I’m not sure what advice I can offer that will help you cope, but I’ll share what has helped me.

First, I’ve tried to accept that I have Parkinson’s and that it is a part of my life now. It’s not easy, but it’s helped me to focus on the things I can still do and to not worry about the things I can’t. I also try to stay positive and focus on the good things in my life.

Second, I’ve tried to stay active and continue doing the things I enjoy. This has been really important to me, and I’ve found that it’s helped me to stay positive and to feel like I’m still in control of my life.

Lastly, I’ve tried to connect with other people who have Parkinson’s. This has been really helpful, as I can talk to them about what I’m going through and they can offer advice.

I hope some of this advice is helpful to you. I wish you the best of luck in coping with your diagnosis.

2 Likes

Thank you Ayana, that helps. Since making this first post I’ve learnt transcendental meditation which has been a huge boost!