Madapor

However, it’s inevitable that the longer that you have had Parkinsons then the dose WILL need to be increased. I had 20+ years experience of dealing with, and balancing dosage V side effects for my OH, (with the permission of a neurologist and only within certain parameters whilst keeping detailed notes myself), and believe me you cannot stay on a low dose for ever much as you would like to.

Thanks Benji, can you tell me what you consider to be a low dose. That’s the bit I’m trying to get my head around

gordo

Everyone responds differently to medication. Unfortunately there are no set rules or dosages or everyone would be just fine on drug X three times a day. My OH started Ropinirole immediately, (we knew no better then) and was very quickly on the maximum dose of 24 mg/day. After a while they were prescribed Madopar, initially 62.5, 3 times a day. which, after around 18 years ended up being x6 125 tablets a day. However, you may read elsewhere that on admission to hospital a doctor, not a neurologist, doubled this dose much against our wishes but they would not listen. I am no expert and can only suggest to start on the lowest dose that gives you some respite from your symptoms.
All the best.
benji

Diagnosed Mar 18. Symptoms - poor gait with freezing, broken sleep, poor balance, no tremor, fatigue, rigidity, weak left foot. Started Sinemet 50/12.5.Upped to 100/10 then 100/25 3xdaily. Also was taking Aspirin75mg/Atenonol 25mg & Simvistatin40mg for longstanding heart disease. Interestingly the freezing stopped ever since PD meds - although rest of symptoms not much improved. Briefly tried SinemetCR 100/25 at night for sleep but no benefit so stopped. Possibility of vascular Parkinsons discounted after CT brain scan was normal. Mid 2019 diskensia started and breathing became bearably laboured but tiring 1 hour after meds. Some minor muscle twitch in legs. Saw GP and switched to Madopar 100/25 3X daily - no benefit still diskensia after tablet. At Xmas 19 I dropped the lunchtime tablet and felt better. Sleep improved. Noted after some time still tired and stiff at times and eventually restarted 3rd tablet recently. Getting dosage right is crucial and due to visit GP on Weds.