Marital break up because of PD

Thank you Pippa for your kind words

How are you doing Chris?
Best wishes,

Pippa

I am so sorry that I have not been on the forum for a few months. Pippa, alongside yourself, I would like to thank everybody who has contributed to this thread.
I have spent several months of my life feeling constantly angry, at myself, PD, my wife; hurt, upset, and altogether feeling desperately sorry for myself.
A few weeks ago I had an epiphany, I was indeed just wasting this precious life of mine, sitting day after day and hour after hour trying to fathom the situation.
All of my anger and frustration was making my PD loads worse, and was hurting nobody, apart from myself.
Then I realsied that this was down to ME, my reaction to life’s events, and that it was only down to ME to deal with things differently. I have moved on in my thinking, and in my heart too.
I feel no anger anymore, no bitterness, and have regained a joy in life.
It’s been a journey of several months, which I have wasted. My only advice to anyone who faces similar turmoil, would be to move on as quickly as possible, don’t waste time, energy, or your life trying to regain something that has been lost irrecoverably. Easy advice to give, but for every night I have wept into a glass of booze, I could have been doing something, anything, productive to myself and to others.
Much love to all!
Chris

1 Like

Hello chris10, I am so pleased that you have sorted things out in your mind and body. I agree that when something happens in your life regardless of what it is, its you and only you that can eventually come to terms with and come out the other side wiser and stronger.
My best wishes for your new found life and your way forward - sheffy x

Hi Chris, so sorry to hear this, my husband was diagnosed 11 or so years ago with early onset PD we’ve been married for 32 years and his behaviour just lately has been challenging to say the least, but he’s my husband and I love him, he often remarks that I’d have a better quality of life if he moved out or left me which upsets me, I hope you can move forward and find someone who will love you unconditionally

1 Like

Chris unfortunately when these hugely hurtful things happen you have to go through it to get to the other side. We all struggle and there is no magic solution. I am glad you are feeling better

Hi… I’m just going through this now and feeling like I got hit with a truck… she started getting very mean, controlling, and blaming me and starting arguments and leaving. She told me no woman will ever want a man with Parkinson’s. Now she left… I’m broken.

Sorry to learn of your heartache at this time but she is wrong, there are people who date people with Parkinsons. Pick yourself up 1111 and start to think positive, don’t let this little setback get you down as you will be the one to come out on the other side smiling. I was going to say get yourself out and get to a social club or take up an activity but with us being in Lockdown this will not be possible for a month !! When this Lockdown is over check out what is on in your area. Someone better is out there waiting for you to cross their path and they will be understanding of your condition. Take care and stay safe.

Les

Hi @1111, :wave:

A warm welcome to the forum.

I’m truly sorry to hear about your break up, this must be incredibly tough for you and my thoughts go out to you right now. @cruisecontroller has given you some good advice and I recommend you take them onboard. We also have an amazingly supportive team of advisers via our confidential helpline that can provide you with the right support to help you during this vulnerable time - they can also give you a lot of information about counselling which I’m sure will be beneficial to you.

Please give us a call on 0808 800 0303 and feel free to use the forum as frequently as you want to, we are here to help you in any way we can.

Do take care. :slightly_smiling_face:

Best wishes,
Reah
Forum Community Manager

1 Like

It always saddens me when I hear of marraige break-ups through parkinsons. Your wife should’nt say cruel things to you, it is not your fault you have this despicable disease, you did’nt ask to have it.
What if your wife had been diagnosed with it, would you have thought the same way and said cruel things to make her feel unwanted as she has to you. I know it can’t be easy for those partners/husband/wives who take on the position of carer (sometimes earlier than they thought or even if ever) it must come as a shock, but that is what the/your wedding vows say, in sickness and in health, (some don’t think about what the meaning is at that moment in time) Life does not end with the diagnosis, its the start of a new and different way of life, join local meetings, meet new people, make a new social life, your wife does’nt know what she will be missing by not communicating with others who will give her help in understanding the disease, help in making your marraige work by looking at life in a different way together, and I mean together, both of you have to play a part in this.
But I am sorry to say that unfortunately some people are not able to take on this label of being a ‘carer’ it is not in them to do it, and it pulls them apart about what decisions to take to make it ok for everyone.
Time will be a healer, hold your head up high, you are just as good, if not better, than anyone else. I wish you all the best and hope that life will be good to you in the future

sheffy (I have had parkinsons 11 years now, and still find life worth living)

1 Like

Hi 1111
I have unfortunately been where yo are and it is tough but I hope things settle down and you are able to move forward

Best wishes

Jon

My husband was diagnosed at, the beginning of the year at 43. I can honestly say hand on heart that I love him even more due to the way he has handled it all. I know there will be bad days and his condition will get worse but I hope and pray that together we can overcome anything. I think anyone with this horrid disease should be praised for their bravery and not be beaten down over it. The, way you all learn to adapt to a new way of living while trying to keep life as normal as possible is amazing!!! My heart goes out to those of you who have been let down by loved ones. I wish you all positivity, love and strength to make the most of your lives.

2 Likes

Hi Chris
Here we are almost another year on and wondered if you maintained your spirit (hope you have) through this weird Covid time that’s impacted everyone ? Best Wishes

late to respond to this but I’ve been through the same and worse. My wife is leaving me because she doesn’t want the rest of her life burdened by me.
She never once went to a neurologist appointment with me in the 12 years i’ve been diagnosed. She denies I have it and am Faking. She also turned my kids against me telling them that I’m crazy and fake Parkinsons .They will not speak with me.