New diagnosis

Hi Aide
I think it’s disgraceful the way your employer (supposed friend) is treating you. I hope the CAB give you all the advice you need to take your case forward. Your loyalty is to your wife and your future security.
Re dealing with Parkinsons - be positive. The best quote I heard recently from a fellow sufferer is “I have Parkinsons - but Parkinsons doesn’t have me”.
Another thing I have discovered after 8 years is not to be too proud to ask for help - between the Parkinsons nurse and the local Parkinsons contact I now have a Blue badge for parking and receive Attendance Allowance. Both things I would never have thought of as being entitled to.

1 Like

Hi All.

Further to my first message. My employer has now replaced me and the new manager is due to start in a weeks time. She has stated that I have to take on another role with a reduction in salery. What frustrates me the most is she wants me to train someone else to do a job that I’m capable of doing myself. All this has left me feeling stressed, anxious and if I’m honest, a bit down. My wife is very supportive and wants me to quit, she is very worried that all this is going to make me unwell mentally. As if having PD isn’t stressful enough

Adie

Hi Aide, so sorry to hear that your job change is leaving you stressed and anxious.
I’m sure some of our members will be here soon to offer their advice. If not, one of the Parkinson’s UK team will respond when they can.
If you want to talk things through please feel free to call our Helpline on 0808 800 0303, they
can advise you about these issues and offer support for you and your wife.

Best wishes,
Edwina
Moderation Team

Hi @Aide,

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve been experiencing issues at work. This can’t be easy and I can understand why you’ve been feeling down. We have a lot of information on our ‘Work and Parkinson’s’ section on our website which can help you make informed decisions about your working life.

If you’ve already raised this issue with your employer and you’re still not satisfied, I would also recommend that you find out more about your legal rights. Your trade union, the Equality and Human Rights Commission (EHRC), Citizens Advice or the Equality Commission for Northern Ireland should be able to advise you.

I really hope you find this info helpful.

Best wishes,
Reah