New Diagnosis

Hi Maddison

I have been taking Co-Enzime Q10 (Daily), Vitamin C, Vitamin E and NAC (N-Acetyl-L-Cysteine) in various/none regualr amounts becuase I heard these are beneficial although it has not made any noticable difference I think they are supposed to help with reducing the progression of the disease.

I do drive and the main probelm I have had is with my left hand, it hurts and shakes when I try to grip something for a long time. So holding on to the steering wheel is uncomfortable.

Hi John,

If you are taking more than two types of meds its worth getting a pre payment card your pharmacy should have leaftlets. You can pay monthly by direct debit around £11.00 per month for 10 months.

Then if any other scripts are needed for other problems that might crop up general health like pain killers of antiboitics you are covered for all possible scripts.

I am on 10 different types of meds with PD hypertension & vertigo.

So they would cost me around £81.00 per month without my PPC.

Kindest Regards BB

Thanks for that bit of advice Betty . Was not aware of it 

Wow i did not realise pwp had to pay for prescriptions , i picked up my repeat prescriptions yesterday with 7 different items on them i have Hypothyroidism so i do not have to pay for my prescriptions .

I dont pay either shelly on e.s.a , i just tick and signiture the reverse of the form they direct me too when i pick up the prescription ,if i did it would swallow up at least one weeks benefit.

I have noticed the scheme betty talks of per month or per year, i think it is £28 per month or £112 per year at my local practice surgery.

I understand there is a list of chronic conditions that are exempt because they need lifelong replacement of something missing eg diabetes, thyroid problems etc.

Has/ is PDUK fighting to get Parkinson's on the list?

It is ridiculous that patients have to pay for prescriptions until they retire.

GG

I also have an under-active thyroid, so get free prescriptions for that.  Having Parkinson's is a million times worse - how can the NHS justify this?  PDUK should really think about a  campaign/on-line petition.

This is an incurable, life-time illness.

On Tuesday the 7th October I went along to my Genetics appointment. Had a sit down with a Genetics doctor? and briefly went through my complicated family tree. I think I am an interesting specimin because my father had Parkinsons. I signed a form in various places giving them permission to take some blood and send it away to extract the genes to see if I have any of interest. I also gave permission for them to do what they want with my blood sample. They may keep it and do further tests down the line, I'm not sure.

Last night I started on my higher dose of Madopar. I'm now on the 125g capsules. I think there is some difference in that there seems to be less shaking in my left hand and a bit more control as long as I don't get stressed. Unfortunately though, I still do get stressed at work :(

Hi John hope you start feeling better on higher dose of madapar . It's difficult to avoid stress sometimes isn't it ? They've mentioned to me about genetic testing because of my age but there's no one in family previously with it . Well not diagnosed anyway . My nan was very shaky and my aunt and uncle are . 

Hi all,

I am the Health Policy and Campagins Adviser at Parkinson's UK. We completely agree that all people with Parkinson's (or other long-term conditions) should be exempt from prescription charges wherever they live in the UK. We’ve put together a bit more background about our position here: http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/content/prescription-charges-our-policy-statement

One of the main ways we’re campaigning is with the Prescription Charges Coalition which is made up of more than 30 different organisations such as Parkinson’s UK, Motor Neurone Disease Association, MS Society and the British Heart Foundation.

As a coalition we are working together in Parliament to campaign against the unfair system and highlight the difficulties that people face as a result of prescription charges.

I know it has been mentioned on the thread already but it is certainly worth taking a look at pre-payment certificates, which are available for people who need more than twelve prescribed medicines each year. Although these are not a solution they can help to ease some of the financial hardship caused by prescription charges. You can find more details about eligibility and how to apply here: http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/PPC.aspx

Hi Leo . Can you tell us if there is any news on the campaign to stop pwp having to pay for prescriptions . My GP told me I was exempt the other day . Even he was not aware we had to pay and was really surprised . 

Hi Maddison,

We are still trying to work through the prescription charges conation to end charging in England. We have had high level meetings but as of yet, considering the financial issues surrounding the NHS at the moment, we have had no official commitment to repeal prescription charges.

Here is a link to a page showing the exemptions to the charges though which you may find useful: http://www.nhs.uk/NHSEngland/Healthcosts/Pages/Prescriptioncosts.aspx 

Sadly today the Northern Irish Government has even publish plans to reintroduce charges which we will be fighting against.

Sorry I couldn't't bring better news.

Leo

These are the current NHS medical exemptions.

Obviously Parkinsons should be added to the list of conditions and I hope PDUK escalates the pressure on this government.

Until then, many PWP could probably claim under the "continuing physical disability" section.

And it means ALL prescriptions are then free, not just those for Parkinsons!

Worth a try?

GG

People with certain medical conditions can get free NHS prescriptions if:
they have one of the conditions listed below, and
they hold a valid medical exemption certificate.
Medical exemption certificates are issued on application to people who have:
a permanent fistula (for example caecostomy, colostomy, laryngostomy or ileostomy) requiring continuous surgical dressing or requiring an appliance
a form of hypoadrenalism (for example Addison's disease) for which specific substitution therapy is essential
diabetes insipidus or other forms of hypopituitarism
diabetes mellitus, except where treatment is by diet alone
hypoparathyroidism
myasthenia gravis
myxoedema (that is, hypothyroidism requiring thyroid hormone replacement)
epilepsy requiring continuous anticonvulsive therapy
a continuing physical disability which means the person cannot go out without the help of another person. Temporary disabilities do not count even if they last for several months
Or are undergoing treatment for cancer:
including the effects of cancer, or
the effects of current or previous cancer treatment
Also read the medical exemption certificate FAQ.
How to apply for a medical exemption certificate

To apply for a medical exemption certificate ask your doctor for an FP92A form. Your GP, hospital or service doctor will sign the form to confirm that your statement is correct. At your GP's discretion, a member of the practice who has access to your medical records can also sign the form.
Your certificate will be valid from one month before the date that the NHS Business Authrority receives the application form.
The MedEx lasts for five years and then needs to be renewed. You may receive a reminder that your certificate needs to be renewed. If you don't receive a reminder, it is your responsibility to ensure that it is renewed.
You can find more information about the application process and refunds on the NHS Business Authority's website.

What on earth does " conation" mean, Leo?

Looked it up and no wiser!

,Conation | Define Conation at Dictionary.com
dictionary.reference.com/browse/conation
the part of mental life having to do with striving, including desire and volition. Origin Expand. Latin. 1605-1615. 1605-15; < Latin cōnātiōn- (stem of cōnātiō) an  ...