bethankit - I [u]LOVE[/u] the moray accent. Absolutely totally incomprehensible but lovely to listen to.
And Aberdeen is the only big city in Britain with a perfect beach (total nonsense but it gets a response. Anyone from Sunderland there?)
Hello Turnip,

I always enjoy your highly informed posts and opinions.This subject of whether to go straight onto drugs or not is often an emotive one.

I was being entirely truthful when I said both neurologists at Inverness Raigmore hospital advised me not to go onto drugs as long as possible.The first, whose speciality is PD, said there are two different opinions amongst neurologists on the matter. The second, who actually used the word "neurotoxic", also said there are two camps of thought on it.

Being a layman in medical matters, I took them at their word.

David, as you can see, there are different viewpoints on this matter, but as Turnip said, it might be best not to go straight onto drugs while your symptoms are mild. Obviously you must go on your own "gut" reaction.

Kind regards, Butterfly.
thank you Butterfly for your comments.
there is rarely a black and white answer applicable to everyone in the PD field.
David welcome to the forum. I have the same mild symptoms as yourself and am roughly the same age. I was diagnosed this time last year. Like you I am trying not to worry but just get on with life and work etc.. So far it has not been as bad as I first thought. I have no particular advice except to say what helped me was talking to a friends mum who has had PD since 50 and is now 80. She helped me feel less anxious about what lies ahead. we can't predict so no sense stressing. Since joining this forum I have found people very helpful. So I wish you the best and keep positive.:grin:
on another site, a participant was being very gloomy about his future with parkinson's (or lack of). It upset my husband considerably, thinking that he would lose me very early and be left alone.

Since then I have read the 'understanding Parkinson's' book and talked to other people with Parkinson's.The book clearly states 'you should look forward to a relatively normal life span with a good quality of life'

My friends uncle lived and worked on his farm well into his 80s (still driving his tractor), despite having Parkinson's.

one of my father-in-law's friends was diagnosed at 60, 15 years later he's still going strong.

Now I see you have talked to someone else living with Parkinson's into their 80s

I too, felt very reassured by that. I'm under no illusions that Parkinson's will make my life more challenging however I am determined to have the best life I can.

Caroline
thanks to all-esp Mayhem and Caroline B for your
positive messages.It really helps and I`m starting
to feel more positive every day about the future.

Mayhem-where do you live and do you still work?

David