New

Hi all, I am new to the forum today. I am 59 and was Dx a year ago.still coming to terms with it all and wondering how long I will be able to carry on full time work. Taking levodopa which seems to be quite effective. I experience a lot of anxiety which is hard to deal with at times.its positive to read posts of people who have had the condition a long time and yet are still living full lives.
Welcome to the forum Crofty, look forward to you posting regards Angel4ux
Hi Crofty, welcome to the forum.

I was diagnosed April '12 age 51 still working fulltime.

Hope to see you around the forum.

Regards :smile:
hi crofty
welcome to the forum. pd is not all doom and gloom, no two people are affected the same. Keep working as long as you think its safe for you and others. Your body and mind will tell you when the time has come. Plenty of great people on the forum to share their experiences with you.
cheers
Chunky
:grin:
Good Afternoon crofy,I was the recipient of the unwelcome BLACKHEART in 1999
you should continue to work as long as you feel able to do so as it will help
keep PD at bay. I am 62 now and a bit battered ,but have found the Ideal way to
kick back at Parky, by talking to groups of student Doctors and Nurses about PD
I find it most rewarding:grin:
Fedex
Thanks for the supporting messages,it's good to know that Other people have trodden down the same path.sometimes you feel like you are the only person in the world with PD. on the work front I find it difficult to type without makings many mistakes and my writing ! Always bad,and largely illegible to others is now almost illegible to me as well!
Crofty
Hi, Crofty --

I am also new to the forum but can assure you that a full and normal life is possible with PD. I have had it for 15 years, will turn 66 next month, and have returned today from a ten-day tour of Yellowstone National Park and the Grand Tetons in Wyoming. I was with a group of 17 other people, and no one guessed that I have PD. I even tried snowshoeing for the first time and went three miles in heavy snow! Like so many others in the forum, I credit (1) exercise, (2) optimism, (3) minimal doses of drugs. The meds that delay the disease, such as Azilect or Rasagilene, are especially encouraging. Mirapex is working well for me in reducing symptoms like poor handwriting, tremor, and coordination.

Keep up your confidence that symptoms can be reversed (mine were) and that your life will not immediately change. After 15 years, I have changed very little! Best wishes -- you may fare well, too.
j of Grey Cottage must be a contender for best nom-de-park of the year. Almost as evocative as slipperybathtub but a more refined image.
Thanks, Turnip, for the "refined." My PD doc is surprised, too, at the slow rate of progress. I may be an exception to the rule (and probably a lot of other rules as well), but I want to offer an example of what's possible to crofty and others. I had a bad start with two neurologists who didn't know what the x#8@#! they were doing. Then I got to a PD clinic involved in research and improved quickly. From what I am reading here, it sounds to me as if your care in the UK is far above ours in the U.S.
I was greatly cheered j of grey cottage's message . I am due to see my neuro in as few weeks and will mention the drugs to him.my biggest bugbear is anxiety and sleeplessness which are tough beasts to slay.it strikes me as time goes past that your mental approach to pd makes a big difference to the severity of the symptoms you experience almost a much as the meds.
Crofty
hi J o GC
i moved to australia 2 years ago which i think is half way between the two systems.
the uk nhs tends towards equal mediocre treatment with random geographical differences. but no-one falls thru the net.
in the US from what I hear, it varies from brilliant to none at all depending on money and luck.
in australia, geography is very important, but the safety net is there, but you have to pay a proportion of the costs. I actually prefer this as there is more choice (i can see my neuro any time i like) but it costs gbp60. in the uk it was free but i saw 3 different doctors when they felt like it and very little choice.

the quality of neuros can be a strain, it droppeth as the random rain upon the place beneath.
Hello Crofty I am about your age dx Sep 2010. I have been on Madopar 125 mg x 3 daily since Oct and it is helping with my movement, balance and stiffness. Like you I have problems with anxiety but have just asked to be referred for cognitive behavioural therapy as 2 different anti anxiety drugs had very unpleasant side effects for me. I have my fingers crossed and would also suggest you look at a website called No More Panic. I wish you all the very best

Samdog
Hi Crofty

You say your biggest bugbear is anxiety and sleeplessness - well mine too ! Have you come up with some magic solution yet? If so, please share it. I would really welcome any tips on how to heal with these 2 beasts.

Kind regards

Powrie
Hi Crofty

I was Dx in March 2011 aged 52, having had symptoms for over a year and am still working full time, term time hours. I love my job and really do not want to give it up. I take only 6mg Requip and azilect, which seems to keep me going.

I find typing difficult too and have Dragon naturally speaking, voice activated software both at home and with the help of 'Access to Work' at work too. I have a dictaphone as writing is hard at meetings etc, and a special roller ball mouse which I have learned to use with my left hand. (I am right handed)

There are all sorts of 'tricks of the trade' you can use if you need to and Access to work' were really helpful.

Caroline x
So glad my message helped! I'm sure you're right about attitude and optimism. Recent research on brain chemistry is convincing. It's just hard to remain cheery sometimes when symptoms increase. I see my doc in just two days, and interrupted sleep is one thing I intend to mention. It started when I began taking a small dose of carbodopa/levadopa. Continued best wishes.
I am taking an antidepressant, citalopram and it has worked well for me. My GP wanted me to take it 6 years ago after my husband had a stroke that affected his speech but I only took it for awhile and then stopped because I felt better. Then when I was diagnosed with parkinson's we agreed that I would take something. I am 62 and had my first symptoms in June of 2011. I didn't take any medication until July, 2012 because the neuro didn't want to prescribe it yet. When I went to another neuro he gave me the medicine I needed and it has been great. I didn't want to take medicine for my anxiety but I am glad now that I listened to my doctor.
Hi Floridagirl, I am glad the citralopan works for you. My neuro suggested it but some people seem to react badly to it and I have a fear of taking something that deadens the senses as I want to keep alert for my job.i took propropanol for a while a couple of years ago.it worked to reduce the anxiety but turned me into a bit of a zombie! I am probably wanting my cake and to eat it.
Crofty