Newly Diagnosed ... is pushing back worth the effort?

Just had a thought you should be able to get an on screen keyboard on your laptop and be able to use your stylus as you do on the your tablet. It will be in setting under accessibility or some similar name. You can also use short cuts for several functions which may help

Tot

Hello again Martin

https://matias.ca/halfkeyboard/

As ever when searching for something, a different something is thrown up. I thought that this might interest you
Tot

Huh! Now that - half keyboard - is interesting! Odd … but interesting. Might splash out on one of them. Thanks @Tot.

And now you’ve mentioned shortcuts, even before diagnosis, I’d switched to clicking the mouse using the number pad to the right of the main keyboard. (Despite being right handed, I’ve used my left hand for the mouse for many years since having bad RSI; remember that?) Still move it around with my left … for now, anyway.

Sorry to hear about your husband, @Plus1. But good to hear he was able to work for a good few years post diagnosis. And thanks to you - as well as everyone else - for the advice. Walking that tightrope between immediate “Oh - I can’t do that anymore” acceptance & frustration at your limitation; one thing I need to keep in mind - speed is not everything; when you can’t do that any more, finding another way to the same objective - by looking on Google, it seems! But tightrope walking isn’t supposed to be easy.

And I tried learning the piano when I was 10. Too difficult for me then, so … :smile:

Welcome @MartinB. 51 year old web developer here. Right handed. Used to be a very fast touch typist but not so much now. I have PD in my right side and I have difficulty typing with my right hand. I still do it though. And my left hand has to slow right down, otherwise I get double letters etc. As with all my PD symptoms they can be bad one day and OK the next, with seemingly no logic.

I have also had to swap the mouse from right to left hand.

And like @Jay_Clock when I have loads to type I find it best to dictate into the computer and then edit its inevitable mistakes.

I’m not sure stubbornness makes PD any easier - or any worse. I view PD as just a small part of who I am. And long may it be just a small part…for all of us!

2 Likes

I thought i was the only one who has trouble with their dexterity i was a hair dresser for 43 years and i found things i had been doing for yearsi couldnt do problems perming hair rollering tieing bows went from 80miles an hour to 25 really slowed down i have trouble dressing putting my earrings in blow drying my own hair i have seen no one since my diognosis which was in august 2020 which is probably down to covid but i do feel forgotten about i get very annoyed with myself struggle to do things myself dressing etc when my husband i s willing to help me.

Hello Rolomillrace
You are most certainly not alone in having dexterity difficulties and the fine motor skills needed to do many of the things you described, can make everyday tasks very frustrating. There are things you can do if you are ready to accept you may need to change how you do things. That may be stating the obvious but you may be surprised at how many resist change and continue to struggle when there is no need. Equipment is a case in point. Folk can be resistant to accepting equipment because it for example, ‘shows the world’ you are disabled, or stops you denying your Parkinson’s has progressed or whatever other similar excuse you may use. It is my personal view that to see these changes as a positive needs a mindshift change in many from seeing change solely as a deterioration to viewing the changes needed as a means of staying independent. Only you will know when that time is right for you.

Some things to consider may include:

Make use of the period when your symptom control is at its most effective
Look to see how tasks may be simplified
Manage the frustration it can generate

It goes without saying that these can be more difficult if you are still working but your employer should be supporting you assuming of course they know.

Looking to simplify tasks can mean all manner of things such as:
Food preparation - use frozen or ready prepared foods
Arrange your kitchen so that your most commonly used item are easily to hand
Look at how you carry things and lift things - might a trolley help (it doesn’t have to be a 'disabled trolley ’ I actually use a drinks trolley just make sure its stable to walk with) I also find drawers easier to manage than cupboards. I have my plates and bowls on a two tier drying rack on the counter top - much easier than a pile in the cupboard

Dressing - I wear elasticated waist trousers which if worn with a tunic or long blouse can look smart despite the elasticated waist and most dresses I can just pull over my head. You may find a button hook, dressing stick or stocking gutter helpful. I use a long shoe horn a lot. Since you mentioned it specifically you can get stands for hairdryers so you are effectively hands free when blow drying hair.

If you struggle to get up from a chair check the height is right for you and put raisers on if too low also be aware of your technique - move forward on the seat first, use a chair with arms and lean forward putting ‘nose over toes’ before pushing up.

These are just a few ideas, with a bit of thought you will probably find ways to simplify what you need to do. Some of these may see not anything much. The point is anything you struggle with uses more energy and these little bits have a cumulative effect on your energy levels.

Managing the frustration can be very difficult but if you can find strategies to reduce the impact you are halfway there. My preference is to stop and walk away for 10 mins, get a bit of air or make a cuppa - it can make all the difference.

This is quite a superficial post because it’s not practical to cover everything but maybe it will start you thinking a little about your routines etc.

Finally the NICE guidelines for Parkinson’s states you should be reviewed every 6 - 12 months. In your shoes I would contact my consultant about review.

Do hope this has been of help.
Best wishes
Tot
I

2 Likes

As I said above, I’ve … not had Parkinson’s as a factor in life for very long. But already, I’ve found myself agreeing with @Tot on a number of occasions!! :slight_smile:

A personality thing to some extent, but I’ve always liked change - always kept an eye out for habits and routines which could, should, have to be! changed:

• to get to the end result more efficiently;
  • to make use of new techniques / technology (Remember how much planning used to be needed for meeting someone for a day out before mobile phones?);
  • because I couldn’t do it any more (My 20 year old self used to drink 8 beers on a Saturday night and still get to the gym at 08:00 on a Sunday morning. My 30 year old self … didn’t do that!):
  • or simply to avoid getting bored.

I don’t think Parkinson’s changes any of that. It’s just another weight in the balance in favour of change and against … well, against struggling on to do things the same way as always because that’s the way things have always been done. Not much of an argument, that!

For example, me & typing this now: At the moment, typing quickly with my right hand and slowly with my left is, overall, more efficient than typing everything with my right. Sometimes frustrating (especially when, like that, my left fingers don’t come off the keys properly, the ‘repeat’ kicks in, and I get a long string of 'a’s in the middle of ‘frustraaaaaaating’!!!) but more efficient.

When it stops being more efficient, I shall … change my habit & find something else which works.

Martin

Justed read your posted did make me smile don’t let mr parky win fright all the way kind regards

Dragon Naturally Speaking dictation program– it often worth trying new techniques to get accustomed to them/adept at using them before the disease makes them an absolute necessity with ensuing frustration?

Ahhh! I agree. It’s the little things that frustrate. I’m right handed and it’s my right side that’s affected. Fine motor skills such as manipulating earrings into place without dropping them; using eye makeup without spreading it everywhere, cleaning my teeth with a manual toothbrush (I’ve given up and use an electric one). Anyone got any suggestions?
By the way, for typing emails on my iphone, I’ve found that shifting the virtual keyboard to the left enables me to type with greater accuracy. Hold down the globe icon and an icon will appear that enables this.