Newly Diagnosed

Hi Daffy, There is a downside to the beer benefits. I have found that the following few days I feel like crap, and that is without going over the top. I assume it's the meds I take having an effect.

Regardless, I will suffer for the next few days starting Sunday as I am on a nite out and will quoff a few!.

Have a good weekend. (And you Tee Hee)

You too, enjoy yourself ...have a few sherbets.

Shakey

Hope you had a good night out. We can't always just be doing what's best for us. Need a break now and then.

I've never been what you might call a heavy drinker but do like a tipple now and then. These though days one or two seems enough and I nod off

D

I was diagnosed on the 10 Nov, my first symptom,  although I didn't realise it was loss of smell, which I assumed was from using strong chemicals when I worked in the pharmaceutical labs of a large company. This was ca 40 years ago. I am a sports and remedial massage therapist and some of my clients have PD.  It was easy to suspect PD when other symptoms came to light ,, this took ca 3 months. I am in the process of finding which meds are best for me.I am 61 also have arthritis in my big toes and I'm a runner. Done London Marathon twice plus numerous halfs and 10k races. I refuse to give up as exercise is good for PD.

At the Therapy Expo at the NEC I met an amazing woman Julie Jones whose looking at the most effective exercise for PD sufferers 

Hi Runrig

I was diagnosed spring 2016. Like you, I had suspected PD for a while but was amazed at how many little niggles I had just been putting up with (loss of smell included) were also PD related.

I think it's good to keep up the running. I'm a fairly active 64 but trying to incorporate some more structured exercises. I like walking but running's not really my style. Good luck. Daffy

Hi Runrig,

I was diagnosed 5 years ago, in 2012 and I thought as I always did when I had a problem it won't beat me, I'll beat it. How bloody wrong I was mate; I always spent at least six to eight hours a day on my feet lecturing at university, and I don't mean standing on the spot, I made a habit of moving amongst the students in order to keep them on their toes (awake). I was 63 years old and still capable of running at a reasonable speed, but one afternoon I was late changing lecture halls and tried to run from one to the other which was on the other side of the campus, a distance of about 300 yards. I tripped and fell flat on my face as I was running, but thought nothing of it, I put it down to carelessness, I got up and began to run again, but my legs just would not hold my weight. I ended up hobbling into the lecture hall and making my apologise to the students for being late.

That as Mr Fox would say was my "wake up call..." but I did not realize it. It was not until I began to find that my writing skills were rapidly disappearing and I could not sign my signature for my monthly salary cheque that I decided to go to the doctor.

To cut a long story short; I am now in a position whereby I cannot even walk 50 yards without my legs, ankles, feet and lower back giving me a great deal of pain. I try to go out for a short walk every day with my wife who worries if I go alone, god bless her. 

• Hi Prof as a sports massage therapist I often come across clients with minor leg injuries who can't run for a week. They are almost suicidal and I wander what they would do if they couldn't run at all. My mileage is reducing but I get satisfaction from helping new runners achieve there dreams. We had the Xmas meal and everyone knows about my recent dx and are brilliant with support without being overpowering. I even got a trophy for Club Person of the year. It almost bought tears. I'm determined to keep going as long as I can, but I dread the day when I can't run any more. A friend runs a Nordic Walking Group. Would something like that be of benefit to you

Hi Jeff 2

I apologise for the very late response to your post Jeff2, allow me to send my belated congratulations on your award for being club person of the year, and reply to your question.
Twenty-one years ago I had surgery for six ruptured discs in the lumber region of my spine, the surgeon told me after the surgery had been performed that within twenty years I would be in a wheelchair. He said the operation couldn’t be performed more than once, He told me what I shouldn’t do such as play golf, cricket, soccer, etc, etc, and I took his advice. But I remained active and occasionally jogged and when I felt my back giving me pain I walked. I lectured at university which entailed standing and moving around the lecture hall for nine hours per day.
I have never been able to do my job without moving around the room. How far I walked per day I have no idea, but I do know that by the end of the day I was glad to get into my car and sit down so that I could drive home. Such was the pain in my lower back.
I live in Thailand because my wife is Thai and she wants to be near her family, which is only natural. My neurologist has no interest in my back or leg pain, and referred me to a osteopath who without any examination or xray took one look at my age and said Quote: “You are an old man, you are seventy years old. You must expect this type of thing at your age.” Unquote.
I asked him what he meant by this type of thing. He replied that I had osteoporosis and [prescribed Calcium tablets.
My situation now is that I am unable to walk fifty yards, without suffering severe back pain which also weakens my legs to the point that I can barely stand on them.
If you have any advice you can give me Jeff please give it !!
Prof.