Not a hidden disability

Hi @Welshlady (Katie!)

I’m sorry to hear that you’ve had so much difficulty in trying to apply for a blue badge. Our Parkinson’s UK Local Adviser service can provide you with guidance and assistance to complete your application, helping your local council to better understand your difficulties and make a fair assessment of your entitlement.

You can find out who your local adviser is by calling our helpline on: 0808 800 0303 or emailing us at: [email protected]

Warm regards,

David

1 Like

Hi There I may be wrong but I understand that a Blue Badge is awarded on Walking ability only.

Welshlady been a while since I have been on the site. Did you get your Blue Badge? if not please do not give up the fight as you are one of us, and you are making a stand for all who have Parkinson’s all council’s need is a little education.

Hi Mary, I didn’t get a blue badge, and to be honest am not really inclined to pursue it because I felt I was getting stone-walled in every direction. I may apply again as my condition changes but feel a bit disheartened by the whole process. Katie

Welshlady
it is now a while ago since you tried to be issused with a Blue Badge have you applied again and if so what was their answer please. It will help many other members if they have the same problem, Hope you are well .

Good morning Mary,
I was very disheartened when my first application was rejected and decided to leave it for the time being. However, in recent months I have decided to apply again, and I hope to submit it again very soon.
I find the whole process is extremely difficult when applying online and have on many occasions lost all previous submissions and had to start again from the beginning. My tremors do not help as it makes typing so very hard.
I am concentrating this new application on my Parkinson’s and my increasing “wobblyness”. I am struggling on the question, how would a BB help you from your car to your destination. So any help would be appreciated. I will update in due course.

Good afternoon Welshlady you say that due to PD tremors you are finding typing hard when completing the form. I do not know who your council is that supply BB but it is Notts County Council here and if we cannot fill in the form on line all we do is phone them and they take all details. Do your council due this as it would make it a lot easier for you. Or mabe a friend or someone would help you to complete the form.
The question you ask about how a BB will help you from your car to destination for a start you say you had “Wobblyness” the car spacers for BB are wider than normal car spaces so you can get out your car with out worring about your car door hitting another one, if you have a long way to walk from your car you have to have a rest as you legs hurt and afterwards when you have done your shopping it is easier to reach your car with your shopping trolly if you have to walk a long way, the trolly will do its own thing, and it would upset you if the trolly hit another car that was parked. This is just a little suggestion but constrates your answer on walking and how it would be a lot easier for you.
let me know if you can I will try and help you any way I can.
PS when filling in the form its all about your mobility not much about PD but mobility works 2 ways some day we are ok and then some days we have a real stuggle.

Hi Mary,
I am sorry but I have not been on the forum for a while. I live in Essex and have recently discovered that we have such things as Community Agents who after referral will come to your home and help you complete your application.
I spoke to a lovely agent last week who is coming to see me very soon who will check over my statements, make suggestions, do all my document downloads and more importantly will do the typing.
I’m hoping this will help and my application this time is successful. Fingers crossed :crossed_fingers:

Hi Welshlady I am glad to hear that you are getting it sorted out. Since my last post to you a lot has happened about my driving. My driving licence came up to be renewed and reviewed by DVLA. I applied for my licence to be approved by my PD consultant at QMC hospital. I applied in good time as I did not mind driving. After approx 4 weeks i rang DVLA and asked if my licence had been approved. They had not received anything. The DVLA said that I would be ok to drive with my GP saying I’m OK. Now when you ask your GP they are going to say your OK until they hear from Dr at the hospital. Plus you have to tell your insurer, so to be safe I stopped driving. I telephoned the consultants secretary she said that she was sorry but my application from them to DVLA had not been sent, and at the moment the Dr was away on holiday, so still I did not drive, after 2 more weeks I phoned DVLA again they still had not had my licence. So back I went again to the seretary and guess what? she was now on holiday and my Licence had been given the go ahead but had not been sent to DVLA . Can any one else send it I ask OH!!! NO its not my job why? Still not driving so all in all it took me about quite a while (Can’t remeber how long) but it made me feel as though I did not want to get back behind the wheel , A friend of my who is an advance driving Instruture has offerd to give me free lesson’s but I have got to the state that I don’t want to drive any more. I have taken the car out a couple of times, but as my hubby still drives and takes me shopping then I think I am going to call it a day, I wish you well with your application. Stay Safe Please keep in touch and let me know the out come, x