Parkinson's at 43

Hi @Shonab you’ve already had lots of good advice here. I was diagnosed recently at 50. A shock but also a relief as I had an explanation for a number of (currently mild) symptoms.

I would like to add 2 things. First as others have said PD is a marathon not a sprint. There are people on here who were diagnosed 10/20/30 years ago and still have “normal” lives. Second, I have found exercise really helps me. For me that means cycling, badminton and running. Find something he enjoys, so it doesn’t seem like hard work, and do it as often as you can.

Good luck!

2 Likes

Thank you @Pcyc. He has been told to lose some weight as he is a bit heavy so, we have been out, walking. Good excersise and thankfully he’s enjoying it so far x

2 Likes

Hi again, on the back of some of the advice on this topic, i have just taken delivery of an exercise bike, as riding a bike would pose too many risks for me personally. It is a cheap trade off with my exercise bike been a mid to top of the range model (used) for £35.

Indeed i came across no end of used gym equipment for not a lot of money considering the versatility of the equipment and may yet expand my options with other equipment, as a gym membership is extortionate and i do not cope well with ‘social’ situations.

Kind Regards

1 Like

Thanks for the tip :blush:. I have a treadmill in the garage that I use regularly and hubby has started to walk on it a couple of times a week as he does have weight to lose. The only downside at, the minute is he has a pain in the centre/right side of his back around the shoulder blade that’s giving him grief. It’s the right arm/hand he has the tremor on as well. He can’t take ibrophrophen as he is allergic and won’t go to the docs. He is seeing a physio but I think she’s a bit wary of doing to much due to the possibility of PD. Would be interested to know if anyone else has the same problem with back pain. X

Hi Shonab I suffer with facet joint degeneration of my spine (wear and tear) and I have been on Naproxen for 4+ years now and they work tremendously.

Not sure if your hubby will react to it as I’m not sure if it contains any ingredients he is allergic to. It takes about 2 weeks to get into your system but well worth it.

Be

Poppy

1 Like

Hi Shonab
Im sorry to hear about your Husband, we are hear if you want to talk. I was diagnosed when i was 40 now 55 still going, Hope everything goes ok .
Thinking of you Zo x

1 Like

Thanks for the reply :blush:. Hubby finally spoken to his GP on Monday after serious nagging on my part. The pain in his back is still there and he is also getting electric shock type pain behind his knee. This is all on the same side as the tremor. Hubby explained all the new symptoms and mentioned the possibility that it could be related to parkinson’s and the gp who obviously hadn’t looked at the records asked him if he had googled his symptoms and came up with the prognosis of parkinson’s himself!!! Hubby was a bit annoyed and then had to explain that he had seen the neuro back in January and was just waiting on his scans which will be god knows when due to the covid situation. Anyway the gp has given him gabapentin so we will se if it helps. Stay safe everyone x

Sorry forgot to say hubby is also experiencing a burning sensation and heaviness in his shoulders and arms. He describes it as the feeling you get after a heavy weight session at the gym. Also very stiff and slow in the mornings. Is this a normal PD symptom??

I know the feeling. I was diagnosed at 44 (15 years ago). Today I run an international no profit Parkinson’s clinic, A training centre for professionals, (doctors, Physio, nurses), a tour company as I love travelling, just got back from america!
Having a treadmill or bike is one thing, knowing how it can improve symptoms by up to 40 % is another. Our therapy centre (which works with Parkinson UK) is a little different in that it teaches you to take control, what works, what does not. PUK have excellent resources but most of all relax, do what makes you happy, and never give up. there are 4 pillars to maintaining quality of life not just medication (which should be kept to a minimum)
Kind regards
Alex
edited by admin

1 Like

So hubby has his DAT scan next Friday. Delighted we finally have a date but scared at the same time. They didn’t say when he would get the results. Hopefully not too long as he’s been having a few bad days stressing over it all. Hope everyone is keeping well and safe x

Hi all,

I am new to this forum.

My dad was diagnosed by a private GP.

My dad has tremors in his hands that stops when he shakes his hands or clinches his fist. This only happens when walking the dogs first thing in the morning.

My dad doesn’t not have any resting tremors, maybe a few twiches every now and then, his hand writing hasn’t changed.

My dad moves a little more slowly but he is 72 and never been a runner.

I need to understand if anyone had these early signs

My husbands tremor was only noticeable when he gripped something. Its only in the past few months that it’s become a resting tremor. He is left handed and the tremor is on the right side so his handwriting hasn’t changed. He also had dizzy spells and high blood pressure. Has your dad had a dat scan?

Hi,

No scans yet, just waiting to see a consultant.

As I said he hands only shake when he walks or is reading. He has no other signs of PD.

My dad is type 2 diabetes and has been taking vitamin D which he isn’t meant to take has has stopped taking.

Is there anyone that found in the early days that the tremors only effect the hands when doing something and would stop when they gripped their fist and they stopped.

1 Like

At the beginning hubby only had the tremor when gripping something. Its only in the last few months it has been a resting tremor.