Problems with ropinirole

Sorry for interrupting Candy

i take Levodopa ( madopar ) i have no side effects with them at all , i was concerned about starting l-dopa so young but my neuro did say that as far as dyskenisias were concerned if and when they became a problem there were the option of dbs  in the future  and the dyskenisias were not as bad as they used to be years ago , he said many neurologists used to delay the use of levopdopa in younger people and push dopamine agonists  but they now know that the risk of impulsive  behaviour is more higher of a risk in the younger pwp that most neuros will not delay the use of levodopa , my neuro gave me the option of a da or levodopa i took the levodopa option  , my pd nurse is talking about adding  a slow release pramipexole  for bedtime  but neuro says increase my madopar  to a fourth dose , not entirely sure about the pramipexole ill have to give it some thought

i agree with Turnip i would push for levodopa 

hi shelly65 .i got really bad gambling problems,and buying lots of stuff of Internet when i was on pramipexole so be carefull

Hi Shelly65, 

Yes I will certainly ask if I can change to Levadopa, I know Dyskinesis is a side effect but to be perfectly frank I would rather have some involuntary movements than carrying on feeling like this. Ropinirole can also cause gambling and shopping addictions, I think its terrible that a drug that can cause someone to become a gambling or shopping addict is licenced in the first place.

cost me thousands,only said i was spending alot of money joking.thats when they changed my meds

Gus

Yes that is my main concern about the pramipexole  , neuro seems to think i should just up the madopar to four doses a day  , but pd nurse thinks just a low slow release  pramipexole dose at bedtime as well as my madopar  , surely it would take more than one dose a day to cause gambling problems etc  , what dose were you taking Gus ?

Candy

the neuro did say to me when he offered me a dopamine agonist or levodopa that a DA would not work as well as levodopa my thinking was i will deal with the dyskinesias if and when they happen i would rather have some normality back

hope you get it sorted soon Candy

i was on a very high dosage yes. i would think a slow release be fine.

i think she is thinking of keeping my 3 x125mg of madopar and 1mg rasagiline and just adding one dose of slow release to fill in the gaps so to speak really don't know what to do neuro says take a 4th dose of madopar pd nurse says different i'm thinking its a case of better the devil you know and going for 4th dose of Madopar i had enough nausea problems with the sinemet couldn't go through that again

Hi Shelly65,

What is Madopar? Is it like Levadopa? Do you mind me asking how long you have had Parkinsons, And what drug did they start you on?

Thanks Candysmile

shelly has said it all, i take pramipexole specificallly for restless legs,for some reason DAs are better than levadopa for this. but have had some worrying ocd symptoms recently.

my turn! madopar is levadopa plus an extra ingredient that stops it being used up before it gets to the brain. sinemet is levadopa with a different extra ingredient that does the same job.

well said guys & girls just watch out for those side affects ! on the plus i did enjoy the flutter no more tho !

Hi Canfy

As Turnip said Madopar is Levodopa    there are sinemet and Madopar i never got on with sinemet it made me horribly sick so i changed to Madopar

I first noticed a tremor about four or five years ago  so that was probably the start of it but  it was always put down to other things by my gp at that time , last year i noticed aches and stiffness when getting out of bed and getting up from a chair again my gp put it down to my thyroid problem only when i developed a painful left shoulder and i internal tremor did they send me to a neurologist in August 20013 who diagnosed Parkinsons , then 3 weeks later my mother was also diagnosed with Parkinsons

I was started off on Rasagiline  but really did not get much effect from that at all so when i went back to neuro in November he gave me the choice of  a DA or Levodopa  , he said a DA will not work as well as Levodopa and  i would need to go on levodopa within a year so i opted for Levodopa no point in struggling on a DA for sake of a year, the problems with impulsive behaviour on DAs was one of the reasons i opted for Levodopa

Sorry Turnip i will let you get a word in now lol