Prosavin

I read the article with bated breath as  I have put much faith in the gene therapy as a future treatment.

I was surprised that it just appears to be a sour grapes interpretation of the Lancet report written by a less successful competitor in the field of gene therapy.

The clinical trial results report a significant improvement in motor function in all 15 patients and no significant side effects. The patients treated continue to improve and the next stage of trials will look at higher doses and improvements in delivery.

I was unable to find reports of the many previous gene therapy trials of a similar nature referred to by the writer.

I continue to have great faith in Dr Roger Barker, a man of talent and integrity who has worked with PUK on many occasions.

Don't give up hope because of one  critical article from a biased individual!

GG

oxfordbiomedicaoxfordbiomedica

For anyone who didn't read it, this is the info on which the criticisms were made.

I personally find it most encouraging.

interesting stem cell research. click on research top of page.latest news

There has been no further information for nearly 3 years despite an assurance that the next stage of clinical trials of Prosavin gene therapy would begin in 2014.

I still fear that the vested interests of the drug companies are at work in influencing funding to delay the success of a one-off treatment that has so much promise.

Has Research any information about the long delay in progress in clinical trials?

GG

2 years have gone by…any update from Research?
GG

Hi @goldengirl,

I have passed your query onto our research team and will update you as soon as I have more information.

Thanks in advance for your patience.

Best wishes,
Reah

Hi @goldengirl,

Just an update on my previous post regarding your query.

In the clinical trial of ProSavin, it was found to be safe and well tolerated. They found no serious adverse effects, and improvements in the motor issues associated with Parkinson’s were found.

Oxford Biomedica decided to move ahead with OXB-102, which is more potent than ProSavin. According to Oxford Biomedica, OXB-102 has been developed to increase the likelihood of success in later stages of development. The company are currently in the preparation phase for a phase I/II study of OXB-102 in Parkinson’s – I think they are waiting for regulatory approval.

As far as we know that trial is supposed to begin this year (2018).

I hope you find this information useful.

Best wishes,
Reah

well, anybody got any news on prosavn, it seems to be very quiet for drug with so much potential , it makes me think that it is dead in the water( although , i’d be very happy to prove me wrong) before I die of old age

I also followed the progress of Prosavin until it juddered to a halt from what appeared to be lack of funding.
I would welcome an update from PDUK…
It is too late for my husband now.
He is in a nursing home with Parkinsons Dementia on top of all the indignities of Parkinson’s.
Best wishes
GG

Hi @roberto and @goldengirl,

I have passed both your queries onto our research team and will revert back to you with their response.

Best wishes,
Reah

Hi @robert and @goldengirl,

I’ve heard back from our research team and they’ve confirmed the following:

The clinical trials are now investigating OXB-102, which is more potent than ProSavin. We recently wrote a news story on this topic sharing that the phase I/II trial is underway. The trial is now recruiting people with Parkinson’s, more information and contact details for UK sites can be found here.

We will shortly be sharing this opportunity to take part on our Take Part Hub, which is frequently updated with research opportunities and can be searched with a postcode for opportunities happening near you.

I hope that this information is helpful and please let us know if you have anymore questions.

Best wishes,
Reah

Very nice to hear from you gg ,hope your husband is ok ,I’m still on my dbs without this my life would be very different, testing these drugs take so long did you watch gdnf very promising money again tho

Hi Gus,
Lovely to hear from you and good to know you are doing well with the DBS.
The new Prosavin trial looks promising but funding for a one-off treatment will not attract funding…I bet it will be 10 years at least.
Too late for us I’m afraid.
My husband has been in a nursing home for the last year with dementia and rapidly worsening Parkinson’s.
We cope with paranoiaand hallucinations daily.
We never really recovered from the DA hell and I see with horror the odd soul stumbling into the forum desperate for help.
I hardly look at the forum now…it lost its easy entrance into a world of support , but I am so glad I had it for the terrible years…
Now I just feel alone and sad.
Love
GG