Rasagiline

Thank you John, hope you have a good day xxx

I was told to take first thing in morning.
I have been doing this for 5 years and all okay.

Hope it’s okay with you. Babs x x x

Thank you Babs, my PD nurse was s bit "shrugg your shoulders " when I asked what time of day I should take it, but was logical to me to take it in the morning, just wanted to hear of any one else’s experience. Nice to speak to you, I often read your posts. Hope your day is as good as it can be and more
Much love
Sue xx

I used to take it in the morning, but unfortuanatley stopped it due to side effects. It caused me to have vivid dreams and also a heart attack. That was obviously a very rare side effect so dont be alarmed, i was just unlucky.
But if you look at the leadlet inside the box, uncommon side effects include,
Stroke, skin cancer and heart attack. Scary stuff

I hear you loud and clear, but if we worried too much about uncommon side effects, we wouldn’t even take a paracetamol, I just want to feel better…
Have a happy day
Sue xx

1 Like

Hi Sue

Good to speak to you too as we have not really spoken yet.

Hoping your day is good too.

How long have you had PD and do you still work.

I have had to take early retirement as could not do my job anymore.

Take Care Babs x x x

Your totally right, like I said though I was just unlucky.

Hi Babs
I am 69’ been dx since Dec 2017, finally got them to believe me after seeing six different doctors over the space of two years. I insisted to be referred to a neurologist when I said to doctor " I think I have PD" he said " you don’t look like someone with PD to me" I replied, how do you know that .you have nevrr seen me bfore in your life . I am pretty sure I’ve been having symptoms for at least six years . I had an uncle with PD so knew a fair bit about it, but you know what it’s like, you choose to believe it’s only anxiety or one of the other illnesses they fob you off with .
I know it’d difficult to diagnose but we do know our own bodies.
I am having a good moan aren’t I …lol
I don’t work anymore , I gave up work to look after two of my five grandchildren, believe me it would have been easier to go into the office every day. But I loved every minute with them, the girls are 12 and 15 now, I didn’t look after the boys as much , my daughter in law was a stay at home mum,but my daughter is a single mum so had to go to work. The boys are 19, 18, & 16.
Oh well that’s brought you up to speed with my boring little life,
Got to keep on pushing on
Nice to speak to you
Hope you have a good day
Sue xxx

Hi,

Why are people given Rasagline, I only take Sinemet but interested to know why people take all different drugs.

Thanks Margs

Yes, I’ve often wondered about the variety of different medications people seem to be prescribed. I’m only on rasagiline, which I take in the morning.

I was taking 3 sinemet a day for the first year, then 4 ,but I was still feeling crap so rasagiline was added four weeks ago to top up the dopermine, don’t want to speak too soon, but I think it is helping…fingers crossed xx

Hi @Sue.chunk,

Good to see that you’ve already received some responses.

I’m sorry to hear that your Parkinson’s nurse wasn’t really helpful with your query. Have you raised this with your GP? If not, I’d advise that you do just to be on the safe side.

You can always give our helpline service a call on 0808 800 0303 to speak to one of our friendly advisers - they can also arrange for our Parkinson’s nurse to call you back in 24 hours.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
Reah

Hi, just thought I’d put my ten penith in as they say, No two people are alike when it comes to Parkinsons, and we all react different to each medication, what suits one doesn’t suit another. So in actual fact it is all trial and error until a medication is found to suit the individual.
Hope everyone is coping in their own way with what we have bestowed on us, especially when we didn’t ask for it! Sorry but it’s a case of keep smiling, keep your chin up, and stay focused!

All the best - sheffy

My husband was put on Rasagiline when he was first diagnosed 7 years ago and took it first thing in the morning. Last year he was put onto Sinemet 12.5 and found taking them near to each other made him dizzy so now takes it later in the day. In April the Sinemet was doubled and it made home worse so have now gone back to the original dose but at the moment still have a 25 Sinemet at lunchtime. Will see how it goes.

Was prescribed Sinemet 4xday and one rasagiline. None did anything except make me sick to my stomach. Now I take Mucuna Pruriens. Can’t see that it helps but doesn’t sicken me

1 Like

I thought my vivid dreams were down to Madopar

Hi All

I am prescribed rasagiline 1mg daily, ropinirole 4mg slow release 2 times daily and sinamet plus 25/100mg 3 times daily. I take the rasagiline with breakfast. The actions of each of these tablets is different. As I understand it:

• Sinamet Plus adds dopamine to the brain, so that nerve endings can communicate better
  • Ropinirole is a “dopamine agonist” which fools the nerve endings into thinking they have more dopamine than they do have.
  • Rasagiline is a “Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor” which slows the breakdown of dopamine in the brain.
    So it all adds up to compensating for lack of dopamine caused by PD.
    The trick seems to be to use these drugs individually or in combination to improve PD symptoms as much as possible but to minimise unwelcome side effects (short and long term) of these drugs.
    Interestingly my consultant wrote about rasagiline, a couple of years ago, that there are “hints of disease modification” by this drug. I think this means that there may be long term beneficial effects other than just symptom management but no-one can prove it.
1 Like

Hi Aviator,
Our situation must be fairly similar as I am on almost identical medications. I am grateful for your very clear analysis of what each of the drugs is prescribed for. My main symptom is tremors from which I have been troubled for 7 years. Sinamet has never given me any relief and my neurologist recently prescribed Selegeline which I understand is similar to Rasagaline. I was advised to try selegeline for a couple of months and move on to Ropinirole if I gained no benefit from Selegeline. So I have very recently commenced on Ropinirole and, despite the problems associated with Dopamine Agonists, I have to admit it is the first medication I have taken for PD which has given me any relief and reduced my tremors. |I am still shaking but not to the same extent as I was previously. I am taking 4 mg daily with the advice to increase up to 12 mg over a period of weeks. However, I am cautious of the risks we take with Dopamine Agonists and |I am content to remain on 4 mg for the time being. I thought you might be interested in my experience. Best Wishes, Gerrard

Hi Sue, my dose of co-cardelopa is the same as yours. I take Rasagiline once a day about 8.30 ish in the morning. I take my Mirapexin at the same time. It seems to work for me but I have no idea whether it would be okay for you. You just have to try it and see. I tend not to mess about with times of meds.
My meds List for the day is as follows,
6am 2 cardelopa plus a tab for my thyroid.
8.30 Mirapexin, Rasagiline plus Omeprazole for stomach problems
10 am 2 cardelopa
2pm 2cardelopa plus one tab for waterworks problems
6pm 2 cardelopa
Last thing at night a slow release Sinamet tab

I would be interested to hear other peoples daily meds regime. I consider myself on a fairly low dosage but maybe someone disagrees.

Hi Papajoe,
I have been diagnosed for over 6 years
.Here is my daily meds list,
1 thyroxine for under active thyroid
1 lozartan for high blood pressure
For parkinsons it’s
5madapor x187.5
2 controlled release at night at 125
1 dispersable madapor at 62 5
And 1 selegeline of 10mg
Hope this info is helpful
Cheers Anne d