Research results

not sure if we are allowed to discuss publicly, have sent a pm . haven't sent them before so just testing.

Hi I agree it was an after thought after i message you your test message came through i will look forwatd to your reply.

bb xx

Hi Roberto We expect the results of the research we fund to be published in open access scientific journals so that it can be accessed by as many people as possible - including other scientists, people affected by Parkinson's and health professionals. A couple of examples of how research funded by Parkinson's UK has led to tangible progress or clinical benefit for people with Parkinson's: - In 2008, we funded researchers at University College London to study the effects of a diabetes drug in Parkinson's in the lab. They found that the drug, called 'exenatide' reduced or reversed key features of Parkinson's in rats. And this study has now led on to clinical trials of exenatide in people with Parkinson's which are currently underway. - We co-funded one of the largest and longest studies of deep brain stimulation (DBS) for Parkinson's in partnership with the Medical Research Council. The study involved 366 people with advanced Parkinson's and showed that for those who are suitable, DBS is more effective than remaining on medication alone. This study has helped provide evidence that has fed into national guidelines for commissioning services for Parkinson's - and is making it easier for people with condition to access this vital treatment. Not every research project we fund leads directly to a tangible benefit to people with Parkinson's - and that's part of the nature of research. It's complex and unpredictable. Sometimes we ask a question expecting one answer, and actually end up with ten new questions. This is frustrating but part of the search for new knowledge and ideas. That's why our new strategy which I mentioned in my previous post in this thread is all about capitalizing on the discoveries made through research and speeding up the progress towards tangible benefits for people with the condition wherever we can. I hope this helps to answer your questions. Best wishes Claire

thanks claire,

I appreciate your reply, I understand the complexities of research and the many questions that ultimately remain unanswered or indeed generate even more questions that then leads to more research and so the cycle continues. I am not an avid reader and like information to be easy to find so a few little pointers in the right  direction is what i look for to help me.

Thanks for the examples, I am actually on the exenatide trial at the moment.

roberto