Should I take the meds?

Hi Butteredtoast,
I think if you’re expecting PWP to give definitive answers about meds and their effects, you will never be completely satisfied. As all the above have said, everyone is different and everyday is different. So there is no one fix it all medication. As you progress your needs are different. Parkinson’s changes you whether you take the meds or not. But taking charge of whether you take medication or not and what you take, is a surefire way of keeping control.
I agree a survey of forum users and their meds and effects is a good idea.

Hi Butteredtoast,
I tried answering you a while ago but “lost” my answer and gave up. But I’ll have another go now!
My first symptoms appeared back in 2014 but a locum GP assured me it was nothing. I already suspected PD but put the thought to the back of my mind.
Then in spring 2016 my own doctor diagnosed PD and started me on sinemet even before my neurologist appointment came through. He said he’s seen a lot of PD and there was no point waiting. I took the tablets, adjusted the timing a bit following a GP phone consultation. The difference was amazing. My husband and daughter said I was more like me again. My son not too diplomatically said I looked less old! And people who knew nothing of my diagnosis said I was looking “really well”.
Feeling as low as I did at the time I foolishly didn’t get around to reading the leaflet at first and was shocked/scared when I did finally look at it. But I can honestly say I experienced none of the horrendous side effects mentioned and felt a whole load better.
Medication is never going to fix PD of course but it has made my life more normal for me. However, accepting that I have PD required a huge adjustment. I have had to make some changes and now pace my day differently but it’s ok.
I do need laxatives for constipation but that’s PD not the medication.
Everyone’s PD experience is different though, there’s no one rule to follow. But activity is really important, any sort of activity, it doesn’t have to be a gym (not my style!) brisk walking is good. Very best wishes to you and your wife. Daffy

3 Likes

hi
the warnings are much more relevant for dopamine agonists, but it is the neuro’s duty to point them out.
levadopa has an enormous improvement in symptoms for most people.
you have minor symptoms just now but in time it becomes clear there is no alternative.
mucuna pruiens by the way is levadopa and no more ‘natural’ than madopar. without the carbidopa or similar ingredient it would probably give you the runs.
regards

To all, but esp. Jane I am on 125 x 5 , it I probably take 7 a day . I get a really good, noticeable result to: no shuffling, dizziness. Lessens