Should The Word Disease" Be Used In Connection With Parkinsons?"

I agree with you Robfen,I don't think changing name from parkinsons is a good idea.Not only cause confussion to general public,but even people with parkinsons especially the older generation,and people who don't use forum
Also the word parkinsons is known word wide.

You mentioned charitable collections would go down because people would not know the name,i agree.
I also wonder if people would be happy to know that their donations were being used to fund an expensive new logo.Haven't really done my homework,does anyone know the cost involed?
I agree with Cosmic in that the word Parkinson has got such a negative public image.Part of the trouble,I feel, is that Parkinsonisms and Parkinson's all come under the same umbrella and they are not the same. My husband does not want pity merely tolerance, but the word Parkinson seems to immediatly lead to pity. Moreover,I get really angry at the way that people,who do not know John, direct their questions at me, when the situation involves John.This happened whilst John was buying glasses, even though I was sitting behind him, I had to keep indicating with my hand for her to ask John what he wanted.Yes,a new name is needed and needs to be announced with a fanfare.If the P.D.S are going to rebrand they need to make a good job of it, not just tinker at the edges with colour and logos.
This has been discussed before here or some other forum. Personally, when I tell people about my condition, I say I have Parkinson's and dont use the word disease. Having parkinson;s alone sounds negative enough and we dont need the word disease added to it. You cant catch it and it's not contagious. Public awareness needs to be raised about parkinson's and how it affects people on a day to day basis and it is not just a condition the elderly get, many young people get it and particularly in their 40 and 50s.
A poll of the countrywide membership on this subject should have
been undertaken, before any rebranding excercise takes place.Or are
we going to be talking about the same subject in twenty years time,
Taking the word disease out, is on the rebranding agenda and i dont think this
post influencedit,but the debate was interesting:grin:
There is nothing wrong with the term Parkinson's Disease.it was identified by parkinson and is a disease. I know I definitely fell 'not at ease'. by the way, there is a pc movement to change down's syndrome to down syndrome on the pathetic grounds that it doesn't belong to the racist dr down. (I have a son with down's syndrome so i am up on this.) the term 'mongolism' was changed because the real Mongols rightly objected to it in the 20s. It might even become 'trisomy 21'. the result is that nobody knows what you are talking about, but when they eventually do, the same labels will inevitably be attached. the point is to change attitudes not names.

by the way, you might guess that this is a hobby horse of mine.
cheers
what a great debate i'm glad i joined this forum.
The average guy & gal in the street doesnt know what Parkinsons is,except (isnt it that disease that mick Fox had) Any attempt to change it would causemore confusion, i didnt know what it realy meant, did you ??? i think though we dont like it, like the disease, best to lump it.parkypete
i think the avg person would understand it better if we got if more in the public demane i talk about my parkinsons disease to my mates when thy ask, which thy do so thy can understand my moods and feelings and try and understand what we are going through but thy cant do that as we all know. i think it matters not one way or the other the word disease be in used.
Apparently the new logo will be launched April next year and the word 'disease' has gone, so has 'society', which was considered to have old fashioned connotations. I have no idea what the cost of this is, must be considerable, but modernising the image of the PDS might also gain better visibility and with it more funds.
Great news, Kate. I look forward to the unveiling!

HV