Sleep problems

I have developed real problems in turning in bed at night, for which I was prescribbed Half sinemet CR. I no longer wake during the night but I still feel like the tin man from the Wizard of Oz when morning comes. :confused: I get some odd dreams too :confused:

Anyone else had similar experiences?
Hi Moonshine,

I find it difficult turning in bed at night. I have heard that silk sheets are supposed to help but I don't fancy them myself. I'm glad you are sleeping better.
Hi Moonshine
like you I've had problems turning over in bed. I haven't tried the silk sheets but silk pj's are a great help. It still takes a while but if you grab the back of them and pull while trying to turn it usually works. Good luck.
Sheila.
Thanks for your suggestions folks :grin:
Hi all.
I do not get to post on groups I belong to very often due to work and caring for the wife who has parkinson's. 7 years now.
Re sleeping problems my wife would snore and breath heavy and fidget in bed sometime so much se would wake herself up and I had to spend the night on the loung floor in the sleeping bag. This last few weeks I have on some nights turned the heating completely off and on other nights have forgoten too. I have noticed on the nights the heating is off completely she is very calm no snoring or fidgiting and we both have a very good nights sleep. On the nights I have left the heating on even with the temprature turned down she still moves about and grunts and snoors. Our duvet is not a winter one just the mid range tog.
Robert
Hello Boba

I have always been a very good sleeper but not any more. It was O.K.until I took premipexol. The tablets have helped me enormously but the literature tells you that your sleep pattern can change and indeed it has. I fall asleep immediately and have about 3 hours and then toss and turn for the rest of the night. When I see the consultant I will see if there is an alternative. Hope sleep improves for you. Marsyl
I there. I am now in my seventh year with PD and am on 20mg of Ropinerole. I had two attempts at the 24hour slow release version but found it just didn't have enough punch. However I did sleep much better while I was on it. My PD Nurse said this was probably because I wasn't 'running out' of medication during the night. I was taking my Ropinerole in three doses - 7mg at breakfasr; 6mg at lunchtime and 7mg at supper time. I have experimented with taking a smaller dose at supper time (either 2, 3 or 4 mg depending on what I am doing and whether or not I need a boost). I then take the remainder at bedtime. Since I have been doing this I have stopped waking up in the night and now get a blissful 7 hours of sleep. It makes such a difference.
i have terrible trouble trying to sleep.

goldi..
Has anybody taken Amitriptyline to help with sleep problems?

My GP has prescribed me various sleeping pills over the last few years to combat the sleep problems, none of which really work? However when i seen my Neurologist last Friday he recommended i try Amitriptyline? He said its safe to take 1 or 2 x 10mg tablets one hour before bedtime and should greatly improve my sleep? However when i took the prescription he gave me to the chemist, the pharmacist said it warns about taking Amitriptyline and Entacapone together. I take Stalevo which of course has Entacapone in it?

Is anyone else taking Amitriptyline while also taking Entacapone as part of there treatment and if so how was it for you?
Hi.

I tried Amitryptiline about a year ago alongside Sinemet and entacapone, and I experienced very vivid dreams and some hallucinations, so I discontinued it.

HV
Hi again.

I think worrying about not sleeping causes stress, so you can't sleep, and so on. You won't sleep if you can't empty your head of worries, so just accept the changing routine.

If I'm awake for 4 or 5 hours in the night I just do something else. I accept my life for what it is, and if this means different sleep patterns that's cool.

I usually get at least 6 hours sleep in every 24, even if this is spread out in dribs and drabs, so no problem.

HV
Hi,
I've been diagnosed for three years and am 40 years old at the moment.
I've been recently referred to St Thomas' Hospital in Lambeth to thier Sleep Disorder Clinic and having spent the night there under observation have today been given a C-PAP machine. It blows air into your throat as it relates to 'obstructive sleep apnoea'. The tests show I stopped breathing for hort amounts of time but my consultant neurologist says the bad sleeping is fully down to the PD, so a bit confused..........
Hope this is some help, but I will let you know how it goes on.

Cheers
Chris
Hi Hullvictim,
You have the same attitude as me, if you cannot sleep do something else, it's amazing how many films I have caught up on in the last few months. Also the amount of work I have got through for my various charity events, well I think I am working just as hard now, than I did when I was working, well that is not strictly true. This time around on the work front is the problem of speed, and in my case the lack of it. I always liken myself to a "SLUG ON TRANQUILLSERS", so the night time is the best time for me to start writting a speech or a letter, as I could spend best part of a day just writing.
BOS...:grin:
I do not sleep well i find not sleepinng a much bigger problem than parkinson's. If i sleep well for more than two nights in a row all my parkinson's symptoms disappear and i don't need any medication at all. I have tried almost everything to help me sleep. I feel sleeping tablets make it appear i have been to sleep but in reality i have just been drugged into unconsciousness and that makes me feel worse.I wish i could show the Neurologest this but i can't because i sleep even worse before an appointment.
Hi John
I had sleep problems years before I was diagnosed with PD I attended a sleep clinic overnight in hospital and it turns out that there's 4 stages of sleep and I wasn't getting past stage 1! Tried various drugs but the one that works for me is Amitriptyline (75mgs) taken half hour before going to bed. I've put on a lot of weight with it and started snoring but I dont care as long as I get a good nights sleep as I am still working full time and have to drive 20 miles to and fron work.I was dx in 2009 and probably had PD at least a year before dx but symptoms are still mild and not on any PD medication yet so dont know if PD meds will affect the amitryptiline once I start them
ps hubby sleeps in the spare room so I dont disturb him
Renee
Hi John,

Like Renee I take amitriptyline before going to bed. But I only take 10mg, which my GP told me is really a child's dose. It was originally prescribed for nerve pain but in addition I found it helped me sleep better. At this dose, my GP said I could take it potentially for the rest of my life. I am on Requip and there's no problem taking amitriptyline with that.

In the past before I had quite so much pain, I tried a certain supermarket's Sleep Aid herbal tablets and they were quite effective. There was no lingering sleepiness in the mornings.

Best wishes.
Hi jeanine,
when i think back ,for quite along time now i,ve been unable to have a good nights sleep and tried everything from herbal to sleeping tablets ,just a question.
i,ve never hear of this amtriptyline ,can you tell me about it, and what it do?
at night i my legs are so restless it can be uncomfortable and distressing enough for it to disturb sleep,my gp is very reluntant to give me anything to help me at night,but im seeing the nuro in 2 weeks and if i have some info may be he might help me out with this sleep probelm.
any advice welcome!

thanks
SLEEP? WHAT'S THAT?

:fearful:
I fear I am becoming a horrible person - I am so jealous of my partner/carer's ability to sleep. I have to stop myself waking him up.It is not a kind thing to do & causes unpleasantness. The pc is a better option given that GP is so anti sleeping tablets
Good morning all,
well what a terrible night,getting no sleep now even sleeping on the sofa so that i dont disturb my hubby .not ideal.
cant go on like this ,hopefully when i see the nuro he will give me something,my gp also is against tablets to make a difference .i need help!!!!!