Slow Progression

Hi,

Was diagnosed 18 months ago age 47, symptoms were dropped shoulder and no arm swing. I get tremor when stressed or hard physical activity such as using garden sheers. Also get a bit of stiffness. I had the dropped shoulder 2 years before seeing neurologist, so it’s now 3 and a half years. I’m not on any meds. Apart from the odd heavy foot issue and a bit of dystonia in my foot and back, I don’t feel at all ill. I thought my tremor and other symptoms would be far worse nearly four years in.

Can progression be very slow in certain people, does anyone else have slow progression?

I was diagnosed with PD when I was 42, that was 20 years ago. I think the progression has been very slow and I am thankful for that. I had DBS installed four years ago and am taking a fair amount of medication. Tremor has never been a big problem for me, it’s my walking that has caused the biggest problems. I can cook my own meals, make my own coffee and tea, I can still smell things, I am doing alright, all things considered. I have seen PD for other people progress much, much faster, distressingly so.

Hi @JonJoe,

It’s good to see that you’ve received a reply from Martini.

Parkinson’s affects everyone differently. The symptoms someone might have and how quickly the condition develops will differ from one person to the next. We go into more detail on this via our website here - https://www.parkinsons.org.uk/information-and-support/how-does-parkinsons-progress.

Best wishes,
Reah