Starting sinemet

your right there i would be fumeing,if the doctor said take a higher dose on the 15th thats when she should start them,tell your mums gp.i would not be able to hold my temper !so bad.make sure you get the right meds of your chemist aswell sinemet /as co- caraldopa are a cheaper generic version.make sure on your prescription says sinemet.i have deep brain stimulation thats why wondered what the cr slow release are like as im on alot of meds.

Thanks Gus , i just wanted to check before i went in with  all guns blazing ,my mum has co-careldopa , and the script the neuro gave me did say sinemet but the hospital pharmacy dispensed co -careldopa  but i collected a script from my gp yesterday and i think they have dispensed Sinemt not the generic co -careldopa

well no wonder my mother is still suffering , am i right in thinking that protein can interfere with absorption of levodopa , ? my mother says she does not get  any relief from her morning tablet that she takes at 8am  she has it at the same time as she has her breakfast of boiled eggs , i have suggested maybe she tells carers not to give her boiled eggs for breakfast 

My neuro mentioned DBS  as a possibility in the future if i am plagued by the dreaded dyskenesias

They say there is no difference between sinemet &co-careldopa but i found it really messed me up,And co-careldopa the generic version they cost more,try google it, all you have to do is get your gp to write sinemet on your repeat.are you  on sinemet plus ,if so get that put on your repeat ,and inform your local chemist.They reckon sinemet is best takeing on empty stomach ! And dont eat bannanas as they take away the dopamine to the brain.Dont know about the egg thing.sorry

Sorry maybe not dopamine,but the effect of the tablets,they gave me 4 bannanas before i had testin hospital to get rid of meds in my system.so i know its true

Thanks, Kate, for replying to my post about Domperidone.  I appreciate warnings about any medication I'm taking or considering taking.  Like you, I have never had side effects from Mirapex or Sinemet.  I don't know whether to credit Domperidone or not, because occasionally I omit it from my regime and still have no side effects.  I do know, though, that I have not experienced motion sickness while taking it.  (My doctors have encouraged me to experiment with decreasing or increasing Domperidone as needed.  I find it is not a daily necessity for me, and now I never take more than 10 mg. in a day.)

Your gp's comment on Omeprazole surprised me greatly.  It was described to me as a "completely benign" medication that one could take for an indefinite period.  Fortunately, acid reflux is not a problem for me.

Hi  j of grey cottage

Thanks for you message on omeprazole ,asked my daughter the other night to confirm ,shes at uni and been on omeprazole for years for acid reflux,i keep telling her its all the drink! but hey they got to have fun thats part of uni.

You're welcome, gus!  And may acid reflux be the worst ailment your daughter ever suffers!  J

cheers j of grey cottage,these gps its all about the money

Gus

My PN said to continue with Requip XL, i had problems with Requip going above 4mg so that seems to be the threshold for me.  My symptoms were worse in the morning the sinemet cr at bedtime is to keep me dosed up at night, helping me in the morning,  I take the sinemet at 5am, 9am, 1pm and 5pm, my PN says that each tablet is effective for 4 hours so come 9pm my dopamine levels drops off, the sinemet cr is there to have a small dose through the night which helps me in the morning.

Shelly i take Azilect first thing in the morning

Cheers for your reply dexon.thats good to know for the future.

glad to say the domperidone worked no more nausea  thanks for the advice Dexon

Sorry to be "in & out" of chat.

There seems to be concern in people I know with PD that Sinamet is something of a last chance medication because the effects can wear off & the dosage needs to be increased. My lack of real knowledge is such that I don't know how high a high dosage is!!

I take 12.5mg (which I believe is actually 62.5mg) three times daily. I have started to take another Sinamet before bed to help me sleep, As it's now 4.39 am it doesn't seem to work!!

Other posts have referred to Sinamet CR. I have an appointment with my PD nurse on Thurs so will ask about CR version. 

Thanks for reading & support/info.

Chris Ray

hi there chris ray.

You  say your on 12.5mg. there is no 12.5g .   for example 12.5g-50mg is 62.5mg  /    example 25mg -100mg  is 125mg  AND SINEMET CR is a slow release for people that have a stiff, restless ,or leg problem during the night. With some people who take the normal sinemet plus just before they go to bed, this  can be a bad ideal as sinemet plus simulates the brain allowing it to be very hard to get to sleep.I take my last dose at 8.00pm and go to bed 9.30/10.00pm .And in the morning i take sinemet plus 7.30am while im in bed and wait 30/45mins till i get up so it has kicked in to my system and i dont feel so stiff ! .And you can manage great results from sinemet plus for tremors ,and can take very high doses ,but you do have to be carefull of the nasty side effect dyskinesia. im on 4=125mg and 4=62.5mg with out dyskinesia  hope this helps

gus

SORRY CHRIS RAY DONE IT AGAIN ABOUT THE DOSAGE! smileWEEDY

totally agree with you Gus , i took a sinemet plus late one night just before bed , i never slept a wink , so now i try take them about a couple hours before bedtime but do tend to be stiff and achy during the night  as not been given Sinemet CR only the plus

THATS RIGHT! Have a word with your gp or pd nurse about cr during the night .shelly

My  OH was diagnosed with parkinsonism in October 2012. He has been on two medications the latter being Sinemet since March 2013 still no improvement. Mood Swings are unbearable. he is always googling treatments from abroad. The symptoms were at the beginning were what i would class as mild but he treats them as sereve. Can anybody explain the difference between parkinson's and parkinsonism

Never heard of parkinsonism.sorry or im i being stupid.

Hi Gus

Talking about GP's trying to save money, when I first started taking meds I was put on 2mg of Requip XL slow release ropinirole from consultant supplied by the hospital, when I had up my dosage to 4mg local GP prescribed Spiroco XL slow release ropinirole, could this be a cheaper version me thinks!

Luckily I have had no side effects from either version of ropinirole.

Regards Sheila

Hi twilight

I've heard of parkinsonism but don't know what the difference is. I was diagnosed approx three years ago, on a low dose of meds and my symptoms are fairly mild as you described your husbands as, mood swings seem to be the norm (sorry).

Hope you find out the difference I would be interested to know if there is any!

Regards Sheila