Taking DA's and feeling the benefits

'I still believe that DAs are not the nightmare scenarion painted by a few of our members.'

[This post has been edited by moderators because it does not comply with our forum guidelines. You can find the guidelines here: http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/forum-terms-and-conditions/forum-help/forum-user-guidelines.aspx ] Come, live with me for a couple of months, see the distress that I still and will continue to suffer from taking those drugs.

I know that there are positives from taking DA's. Physically I felt great whilst taking them, the mental damage however was another story. I had to make a choice..stay on the drugs and lose my family or come off them. I put my family above my own 'feel good factor'.

Please take some time to get your facts right before you make statements about other peoples experiences

Glenchass.
hi Glenchass,

Your wasting your time, some people will never understand nor do they want to.

They only look at this issue from inside their own world. [This post has been edited by moderators because it does not comply with our forum guidelines. You can find the guidelines here: http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/forum-terms-and-conditions/forum-help/forum-user-guidelines.aspx ]

kind regards
bluey
[This post has been edited by moderators because it does not comply with our forum guidelines. You can find the guidelines here: http://www.parkinsons.org.uk/forum-terms-and-conditions/forum-help/forum-user-guidelines.aspx ]

I stand by my comments and withdraw from this thread [edited]

I will not comment on this thread (which I started!)anymore...
Hi Spam 95

I don't know if your still reading this or not, but I would like to say firstly telling people of my experience is not scaremongering - and secondly there does not seem to be many people on this site telling about the benefits of da's, does this mean that not many people are benefiting from them?

I am not anti da's - they are a wonderful drug - they prolong the time before starting lavadopa and thank god for them, my problem is when problems arise they are not addressed properly or ignored and the amount of damage they can cause in these cases is unbelievable.

A thought has just occured to me that if you read this thread from the beginning, you will see that there are more people who have been adversely effected by da's singing the prises of them than people who have been benefited from them.

I wish you well and hope you have many good years on da's.

Amy
In response to Titan's post at 12:25 on 14/11/11 in the "Dopamine Agonists and Catastrophic Obsessive/Compulsive Disorders" thread within the "Treatments" section:

1. I agree that DAs do the job they are meant to, very well indeed.

2. I can't understand the rest of the first paragraph, apart from you telling us that your neurologist and PD Nurse have "snatched you off" you DA medication without listening to your views, and put you on non-DAs.

3. I would comment here that no doctor can put you on ANY medication without your agreement.

4. I agree that virtually any drug involved with Parkinson's now carries a warning about OCD behaviour in the accompanying instruction leaflet. The makers have gone from one extreme to the other in order to safeguard their backsides.

5. Notwithstanding (4), in all of my Parkinson's OCD experience over the last 11 years I have come across only ONE case where the cause was NOT DAs, but another (non-DA) drug.

6. You suggest that neurologists are being frightened away from prescribing DAs due to all the fuss about OCDs, and that this is resulting in more PWPs than necessary being put on L-Dopa earlier than would otherwise have been the case. You conclude that many will therefore be deprived of a better quality of life.

7. If we had 4 new PWPs, one unknowingly OCD-susceptible, we have these options:
(a) Put all 4 straight onto L-Dopa. Safe non-OCD lives with poor mobility;
(b) Put all 4 straight onto DAs. One will develop OCDs (based on a 25% hit-rate), the other 3 will have a safe non-OCD life with good mobility.
(c) So we're choosing between 4 guaranteed non-OCD PWPs with poor mobility, and one OCD problem patient plus 3 PWPs with safe non-OCD lives and good mobility.
(d) So taking 4 PWPs on L-Dopa and switching them all to DAs should produce 3 with improved mobility at the cost of 1 DA/OCD. i.e. 3 get to have better mobility, the 4th falls into OCDs. I'm glad it's not MY decision!

RoS.